Why become a member? ×

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

Recently rewatched Almost Famous, I’d forgotten how good it is. Phillip Seymour Hoffman playing Lester Bangs is wonderful. However, it’s a pretty good ensemble performance altogether.

I love Almost Famous, one of my favourites. I watched it again recently on a flight back from the US. Interestingly the Delta Airlines ‘cut’ had edited out the turbulence scene...

• Haha 1

One of my favourite music/musician films is ‘Slade in Flame’. It’s a gritty and cynical tale and if you haven’t seen it I wholeheartedly recommend it. Slade are surprisingly good as the titular Flame.

(Incidentally one of my early bands was called Flame, in reference to the film). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis (2017) - a documentary about the Bataclan shootings and the after affects on the band, a difficult watch but an excellent documentary.

Heavy Metal Parking Lot (1986) - interviews with fans outside a Judas Priest concert, much, much better than it sounds.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2008) - funny and heartwarming.

Lemmy (2010) - a documentary about the guv’nor, full of his sardonic yet incisive wisdom, what a dude.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston (2005) - another tough watch, you will have to decide if he’s a bona fire genius or an exploited madman. Intensely interesting but challenging in several ways.

Stop Making Sense (1984) - imho the best concert film ever made, Talking Heads at their absolute best, funky as f***.

Oil City Confidential (2009) - Essex innit, Julien Temple’s documentary about Dr Feelgood.

One More Time With Feeling (2016) - another tough watch (I’m seeing a pattern) Nick Cave recording his first album after the death of his son, painful but superb.

• Like 3

Frank Blank’s Idiotic Facts #2

Having just looked up the words Movie and Film (in its cinematographic sense) it turns out that the first recorded use of the term movie was in 1909 and the first recorded use of the word film, in this sense...

A representation of a story or event recorded on film or, in later use, in digital form, and shown as moving images in a cinema or (latterly) on television, video, the internet, etc.; a motion picture, a movie.

...was in 1905.

Edited by Frank Blank

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

Personally I love the flexibility of language, written and spoken, and that while they all convey a slightly different connotation, Films, Movies, Flicks, and Pics are essentially interchangeable terms. So, I put it to your good and honourable selves that on the matter of linguistic pretentions, I ain't got none.

Absolutely (if I can briefly derail it further) this flexibility is vital to the development and indeed survival of a language. I like that there are extensive formal linguistic rules but that is balanced by the rich and deep rabbit warren of slang. I referred to the police as Five-O the other day and was tutted at by a youth, “Feds?” I offered, more tutting. I was informed that the current nomenclature round these parts is Po-Po. Not in my yard, flatfoot or rozzers... innit.