Why become a member? ×

Ibanez repair

mickhardup

Hi all i acquired a beat up Ibanez 300 the other day that i was going to use parts for a project, but after stripping it down i decided to have a go at repairing it, on close inspection it was clear whoever owned it was a bit rough with it they must have smashed it or stood on it they had two 4 inch screw's holding it together and a rubberised sealer stuff filling the crack then it was covered in chequer plate and the edge of the body was painted with hamerite, i took the two pieces and cleaned them up as best i could without removing too much wood and glued them together then i routed the crack and glued a new piece of wood in to strengthen the break, i am going to do the same on the back, 

Ibanez repair 005.JPG

Ibanez repair 018.JPG

Ibanez repair 019.JPG

Ibanez repair 010.JPG

Ibanez repair 013.JPG

Ibanez repair 008.JPG

Ibanez repair 002.JPG

Ibanez repair 014.JPG

Ibanez repair 007.JPG

Ibanez repair 003.JPG

• Like 5

Hope you manage to get it sorted as there does appear to be a nice bass hiding in there somewhere. I do love to see battered and bruised basses being brought back from the brink.

Although "whoever owned it was a bit rough" has quite probably already won you the 2019 BassChat Understatement of the Year Award.

Best of luck with it, looking forward to seeing the finished article. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

spent a few hot hours in the shed today undid the clamps all looked not to bad, trimmed the inserts and gave it a quick rub over just to tidy it up, forgot about the screw holes in the side i drilled them out and glued in some dowels. Not looking to bad.  Sorry the pics are not in the right order.

Ibanez repair 2 001.JPG

Ibanez repair 2 002.JPG

Ibanez repair 2 003.JPG

Ibanez repair 2 004.JPG

Ibanez repair 2 006.JPG

Ibanez repair 2 007.JPG

Ibanez repair 2 011.JPG

Ibanez repair 2 012.JPG

Ibanez repair 2 013.JPG

• Like 8

Hi all manged to do a bit today, rubbed the body down with 120 grit to find all the low spots and dings filled all the holes rubbed it down filled some more rubbed it down then rubbed it down some more and so on and on, ready for primer now, cant decide what colour to do it any suggestions ? cheers just gonna put some plasters on my fingers. 

Ibanez repair 3 001.JPG

Ibanez repair 3 002.JPG

Ibanez repair 3 003.JPG

Ibanez repair 3 004.JPG

Ibanez repair 3 005.JPG

Ibanez repair 3 006.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mickhardup said:

cant decide what colour to do it any suggestions ?

I’d either be very conservative and go for Olympic White (just because it always looks great with a rosewood board), or go all out for a shouty loud sparkle finish. Either way, superb work so far. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all done a bit more today, its taken so long to do any way got it painted last week and bugger me lost all the pics but got some today of the lacquer came out quite nice, colour is VW candy white, have been looking for a decal for the head but i cant find a sound gear one just an ibanez logo i think that will have to do, ah well see if i can get a bit more of my tele done while i am waiting for the lacquer to harden, thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestion's cheers.  

ibanez repair 3 001.JPG

ibanez repair 3 002.JPG

ibanez repair 3 003.JPG

ibanez repair 3 004.JPG

ibanez repair 3 005.JPG

ibanez repair 3 006.JPG

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jimothey said:

You can’t go wrong with White!! It looks lovely did you just use rattle cans or did you use spray gun and great job with the repair!!

I'm going to spray my Jazz White and possibly my Fortress-ish copy aswell...........😀

Hi jimothey yes just halfords finest paint, you dont get much in a can nowday's 

• Thanks 1