Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray 5HH (NBD)

Machines

I've been a bit slow with this one. A couple of weeks ago a Stingray 5HH popped up on Gumtree at a moderate but not low price, but offering trades for a Marcus Miller Jazz (as well as Flea Jazz). I had my MM since October 2018 and we were getting along just fine. It was a rarer sunburst model from 2010 and in immaculate condition. 

Alas, the thought of a straight swap for the SR was too tempting. I replied to the ad and we quickly arranged a trade the same day at a nearby McDonalds. As ever with 'layby trades', I took my battery loaded Zoom guitar pedal and some headphones to ensure it actually worked. And it did. Trade done in 10 mins with a bit of a gear chat.

My initial thought process was of greed, as the Miller was worth about £750, and the SR5 easily £1000. I could flip the SR and buy another Miller, pocketing £250, right ?

Alas, the SR is a bit too good. I can get any sound I want out of it and the EQ is just perfect. New set of strings and a setup and clean and it does everything I want. Will I keep the instrument for more than 12 months despite my gushing praise ? History suggests not. But it's a good story isn't it. 

SR5HH.thumb.jpg.2ce1c0cf16e15b47a51076a7e9566b98.jpgSR5_2.thumb.jpg.76105c785ad205694e824ac983ad1715.jpg

• Like 4

I must admit that whilst not being a massive MM fan, I did briefly own a natural SR5. It was impeccably made and sounded excellent, and made a great studio/live instrument. Alas the narrow string spacing, weight and lack of a neck pickup meant I moved it on. The HH versions do look cool with those enormous pickups.

I love SR5's. I had one in blue sparkle with matching headstock Single H. Absolute monster of a bass and looked beautiful. . The only issues was the weight, and a bit of a one trick pony. But what a trick. It would cut through any mix, so punchy. Of course yours is a HH so more versatile. Lovely necks and tighter string spacing make these basses a joy to play. Looks lovely. Congrats. 

Edited by bubinga5

On 24/08/2019 at 11:45, bubinga5 said:

I love SR5's. I had one in blue sparkle with matching headstock Single H. Absolute monster of a bass and looked beautiful. . The only issues was the weight, and a bit of a one trick pony. But what a trick. It would cut through any mix, so punchy. Of course yours is a HH so more versatile. Lovely necks and tighter string spacing make these basses a joy to play. Looks lovely. Congrats. 

I seem to have struck lucky with the weight on this one. Not measured it yet but it feels less than my OLP and probably on par with my Precision. 

• Like 1