Why become a member? ×

Chorus pedals and where to use them?

Friskydingo

I've been mulling over getting a low end chorus pedal as I jammed with someone who used a bass clone in a stoner rock band and it sounded nice. 

Is there any other genre or circumstance where it would come in handy? As I want one for more than for one song or style of music. And any pedal suggestions? 

Thanks

I used to use one just to thicken the sound slightly (deep and relatively slow sweep) during the guitarists solos (only one guitarist in the band). 
I've got a Trace Elliot Quad Chorus that's really nice (but it's become a tad hissy, need to look into this). I did try a Digitech Bass Multi-Chorus, but that was pretty rubbish,

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, bartelby said:

I used to use one just to thicken the sound slightly (deep and relatively slow sweep) during the guitarists solos (only one guitarist in the band). 
I've got a Trace Elliot Quad Chorus that's really nice (but it's become a tad hissy, need to look into this). I did try a Digitech Bass Multi-Chorus, but that was pretty rubbish,

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at the bass clone as that seems to be used a lot by bassists and I s relatively cheap

I use mine a hell of a lot, set low and ALWAYS on with mild distortion it fills out the bass in a way that really helps in a band with only one guitarist. The only time I use it on its own is for when I play she sells sanctuary with my other band, it just seems to suit it really well.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I use mine a hell of a lot, set low and ALWAYS on with mild distortion it fills out the bass in a way that really helps in a band with only one guitarist. The only time I use it on its own is for when I play she sells sanctuary with my other band, it just seems to suit it really well.

We have two guitarists in the band but there are some songs which have sparse guitar parts. And we play a couple of cure songs as well! 

I use mine a bit for songs with long held notes and when I want to push the bass forward in the mix sometimes.  Sounds good for some covers such as Cure numbers.  Works well with fretless too.

I have an EBS Unichorus which I'm happy with and give a subtle but usable flanger too.

Edited by CliveT
correction

Hartke did a good bass chorus, was very cheap new and should be a steal second hand. They're supposed to be the same guts as some Chinese brand pedals you can get on ebay but if forget the name. I've had the Boss bass chorus, Hartke, Behringer (always broke), and a few others I can't remember. The Hartke was the best. I like the sound of chorus on a scooped bass, the kind of sound you can imagine accompanying an 80's cop movie scene where a car with lights that flip up out the bonnet pulls in to a murder scene at night... 

And it sounds good on fretless too

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Haha 1

On 23/08/2019 at 23:26, paul_5 said:

I love the EHX Small Clone (and Small Stone if it comes to that) for modulation stuff.

I grabbed a used Small Clone a few years ago, it's bloody brilliant. Really simple, indestructible and sounds great.

Cheap as chips and that shiny purple is gorgeous (which is obviously very important).

On 23/08/2019 at 21:07, Friskydingo said:

Any recommendations pedal wise? Doesn't have to be all singing and dancing something fairly basic 

I'm really happy with my Eden, very cheap but great quality provided you can live with the 15V supply.

I use it for prog and for a subtle effects on Fretless. It is permanently on my board as I use it with other effects for a totally spaced sound.

Edited by Pinball
  • Like 1

80's goth (Cult, Cure, Banshee etc), 80's rock, 80's.. well anything 80's! 90's Indie. Plus lots of others I'm sure.

On 26/08/2019 at 19:40, T-Bay said:

The only time I use it on its own is for when I play she sells sanctuary with my other band, it just seems to suit it really well.

Ironically the time Jamie Stewart ditched his chorus sound that was so abundant on Dreamtime, but given how Mr Duffy's guitar was dripping in JC120 chorus, I can see why it would work well for that song on bass too.

On 27/08/2019 at 22:40, Pinball said:

I'm really happy with my Eden, very cheap but great quality provided you can live with the 15V supply.

I use it for prog and for a subtle effects on Fretless. It is permanently on my board as I use it with other effects for a totally spaced sound.

The Eden is the one I forgot I'd had! Very good pedal but the 15v supply is awkward

3 hours ago, BassThing said:

80's goth (Cult, Cure, Banshee etc), 80's rock, 80's.. well anything 80's! 90's Indie. Plus lots of others I'm sure.

Ironically the time Jamie Stewart ditched his chorus sound that was so abundant on Dreamtime, but given how Mr Duffy's guitar was dripping in JC120 chorus, I can see why it would work well for that song on bass too.

I remember seeing them on the Dreamtime tour.  The Stingray sounded great.  I remember seeing one pedal by his mic stand which I think was an OC2.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CliveT said:

I remember seeing them on the Dreamtime tour.  The Stingray sounded great.  I remember seeing one pedal by his mic stand which I think was an OC2.

That surprises me, can't think of any Dreamtime song that uses octave on bass? You don't mean CE2?

Never got to see them on that tour so won't say just how jealous I am... 😞