Why become a member? ×

Kinda NBD: Mustang bitsa!

Dosi Y'Anarchy

So, I love Mustang, Musicmaster and Bronco basses. One reason is because I am more comfortable with short scale basses, the other is that I just love the aesthetic.

Recently I saw a loaded body from a MIM PJ Mustang on eBay so bid and won.

Also, whilst I love that the PJ Mustang has two pickups, they seem oversized to me and actually put me off a little.

That's okay though as I've got a Fender Pawnshop Mustang that I ripped the pickup and pickguard out of so I could replace with a Nordstrand. 

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Here was my problem, there's no neck. Turns out fender don't sell replacement Mustang necks either. Total pain, but it turns out the neck of my Bronco bass is almost a perfect fit!

So, I had to fill and redrill the neck holes. Route a deeper cavity for the pickup, put shielding pain in the new cavity and wire it all together. It's a miracle it didn't just explode when I plugged it in.

Also, the neck is a little wider than the pocket and has caused a little stress crack on the edge of the neck pocket. It's s shame but oh well.

So, how does it sound?

Great. The humbucker is deep and rich but still has articulation. The jazz pickup is tight and fast and selecting both sounds more like the jazz pickup but with extra depth.

IMG_20190823_083320__01.jpg

IMG_20190823_111508.jpg

• Like 7

I'm so happy with it, and myself. There were lots of points where I thought "this is beyond me, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, or even if it will work" and even now I know I did a poor job with the wiring as it was crapping out on me until I took the control plate off and put it back on again.

Having said that, not only does it all work, there's no noise and its probably going to be the most versatile Mustang bass I've owned.

Still to do:

White tip for the pickup selector.

White Jazz bass knobs

Badass-style bridge

New strings.

Fender Mustang bass decal

I may also learn to ream the tuner holes so I can get some better tuners in there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Looks good, bet it sounds thunderous with being a shorty and having the EB0 style pickup. 🤘🏻😎🤘🏻

It does! I'm liking it far more than when it was in my Pawnshop Mustang.

I did a quick video. When I get the time, I'll do a proper one with decent audio.

Edited by Dosi Y'Anarchy