Why become a member? ×

Favourite Yes Album

jacko

5 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Incidentally, I'll throw in a bit of trivia here.  Years ago - late 70s - someone I knew asked around to see whether anyone was interested in an ushering job at one of the Yes shows at Wembley.  It was the one in the round, with the revolving stage.  From memory, they did an early and late show (I saw both and the soundcheck in between).  I had a horrific migraine and got horribly ill; we missed the last trains on account of having to ensure the venue was cleared and we managed to thumb a number of lifts to get home.  I puked twice on the roadside en route.  Happy days.

I went to that show (and then on to see Dr Feelgood later that night).

Edited by ead

Ooh, ooh, ooh me next. Yes rule the universe. So to the OP's question:

Close to the Edge - so good I rarely listen to it. I check it now and again to see if it's perfect. And it is.

So I need working Yes albums to listen to so that would be Fragile, The Yes Album and Relayer. I'm fond of Topographic too. Going for the One is wonderful. Tormato was flawed but fun. Thereafter, not really Yes for me. 

Classic line-up for me were: Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe & Squire. Each with their own brilliant voice...

• Like 2

Another vote for Relayer but then, controversially maybe, I'm going to go for Drama and Fly From Here as my next favourites. As has already been expressed, Gates of Delirium from Relayer is undoubtedly a masterpiece but I also hold Machine Messiah from Drama in similar esteem. As for Fly from here, it's a lot lighter and more accessible than a lot of other Yes albums but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and on the topic of Fly From Here, I bought the "return trip" (Drama lineup) version from Pledge Music and it's even better than the original.

Edited by darkandrew

Yessongs

Because it has all the stand out tracks from the previous albums and most of my favourites.

I think my collection covers from The Yes Album to Going for the One. I lost enthusiasm when they stopped having Roger Dean covers (always a sign of good music- Greenslade, Babe Ruth, Uriah Heep etc. etc.).

• Like 1

Close To The Edge is always going to score highly with me, but I have a real soft spot for Yesterdays. Those early Banks/Kaye recordings have a real magic to them, despite not having the mega-chops of the later line ups. However, it is the version of America with the Howe/White/Wakeman line up on that album that really stands out for me - love it.

• Like 1

What album would peeps recommend to a non Yes fan? I appreciate this is subjective. 

As I said before in this thread, the beginning of Roundabout was a real (pleasant) surprise to me, so that may give you an indication of where I’d like to start. 

I feel there’s a gap in my musical palette. Howe is a wonderful player (as was Squire).

So whilst I’ve still got 4 weeks of Apple Music subscription left I’m up for a musical education folks!  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

What album would peeps recommend to a non Yes fan? I appreciate this is subjective. 

As I said before in this thread, the beginning of Roundabout was a real (pleasant) surprise to me, so that may give you an indication of where I’d like to start. 

I feel there’s a gap in my musical palette. Howe is a wonderful player (as was Squire).

So whilst I’ve still got 4 weeks of Apple Music subscription left I’m up for a musical education folks!  

I’d probably say to go from The Yes Album to Relayer, skip Tales (could have been a great single album) and then carry on- always a bit of filler but a lot of class

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Definitely “The Yes Album” then “Fragile” and “Close to the edge”, then “Yessongs” for the energy and sheer joy (live versions of the first three albums). Though they are my favourite band they seemed to lose something after this. “Relayer” and “Topographic...” are good, “Going for the one” and “Talk” are my other faves, but everything else has the odd moment but that’s it. Needless to say I have vinyl and cd copies, and bonus discs, of everything (lol but only ever listen to “yes album” to “Yessongs”. So, that’s my recommendation! 

I am rediscovering Rush at the moment! The later stuff is fab!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Witters said:

I am rediscovering Rush at the moment! The later stuff is fab!

Depending on what kind of Rush fan you speak to, this could be any era post ‘80 😂. My fave era is ‘80 - ‘93.

Now, back on topic...

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

Depending on what kind of Rush fan to speak to, this could be any era post ‘85 😂. My fave era is ‘80 - ‘93.

Now, back on topic...

Very true! Music is so individual.

What I love about early Yes, prompted by your post of “America”, is their energy and desire to try things. They were so raw.

Does anyone do this kind of experimentation today?

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I lost enthusiasm when they stopped having Roger Dean covers (always a sign of good music- Greenslade, Babe Ruth, Uriah Heep etc. etc.).

I have to say that I think the early, vinyl albums were enhanced by being able to listen to them, whilst poring over the artwork. CD inserts just aren’t the same.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A different America that is blindingly good... hope I don't get lynched for mentioning the Nice...

Lynched? Nah. You just explained us what Chris Squire quoted from in Yes' America.
That Bernstein feller had nowt to do with it!

5 hours ago, oldslapper said:

Given your previous experience with Roundabout, I'd say start with The Yes Album. It showcases Yes' turning away from the simple songs based in classical Romantic era music, and it feels as a more coherent album than Fragile. After that, do try on Fragile for size.
If Fragile does nothing or little for you, maybe try Going for the One. It's a bit prog and a bit lighter, in one way preparing the ground for their pop period (Owner of a Lonely Heart and the like  -  a song I lurv, BTW).

But Fragile must be good, you know! When I'd bought it the day it came out, using my first regular wages, and proudly played Roundabout for my parents and sister, my dad exclaimed: "I hope I'll never have to hear that again".
If that doesn't strike you as mathematical proof of its quality, you're a lost case. 😉

This is an impossible question to answer - I love most of them equally and have a different favourite every day depending on mood. If I had to pick just one it would (controversial, this) be Topographic. Yes, it's flawed, yes there are boring bits - but you could say that about Mozart or Beethoven. But taken as a whole, it builds up to Ritual and that glorious, marvellous climax.

Yessongs is a very good call and has my favourite version of And You And I.

Apart from the "classic" stuff, I also like The Ladder and Fly From Here a lot - much better than 90125, Magnifi-wotsit and Onion.

Saw them loads of times and was heartbroken the last time i saw them with Chris Squire. Close to the Edge at the RAH with Geoff Downed on keys and they were distinctly ordinary - looking back, Chris was obviously unwell at that stage.

• Like 1