Why become a member? ×

NBD Yamaha BB414

TheGreek

I'm enjoying mine - bought for a specific project - more than the 1024 I had. I thought I'd need to do lots to it, but the only thing I'll be changing will be the tuners, as they're a little...vague. Oh, and that dobbing great selector switch: I've never understood why Yamaha puts that on all their BBs...other than that, it's a real PJ-killer, with a genuinely useful J-pup.

11 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

The older I get, I realise that a decent budget bass, similar to this, would do me instead of spending loads of cash on impulse buys.

Same here, I needed a well built bass, lightweight, well balanced, decent sounding and inexpensive... Yamaha, with D'Addario half rounds, ticks all the boxes for me. 😎

I used to own ten basses, I've finally whittled it down to just one.

Been playing it for a few days and though I recognise why many would love this bass I'm having trouble falling in love with it.

No idea what the weight is, but it feels significantly heavier than my Nanyos (obviously!! :facepalm:) and the pick ups are much hotter meaning that the amp is clipping. I've had to turn it down which, now lets be honest, none of us want to do. 

May be moving this on in the near future.

Completely fair Mick - the 414 / 424 pups are indeed hot, something that many folk really like but it's not going to be for everyone.

I always thought of Spectors' EMGs as having a reputation for meaty / punchy / kick-you-down pups. How would you compare the ones you've played to the Yammy?

Edited by Al Krow

I have the NS94 on the living room rack but it hasn't been played for a few months - since @Andyjr1515 restored the battered Nanyo I bought.

I've bought two Yamahas since so it hasn't had the usage it would normally get (my Spectors and Nanyos getting the majority of the use at home).

I'll do a comparison later/tomorrow and post.

Just put down the Spector...

The p/ups on the Yamaha are much, much hotter. The Yammie makes my TE AH150 smx clip quite badly at around 2-3 (Gain), where as it will happily take the input from the Spector at 5 or 6 without any clipping at all. 

I'm sure there are articles online somewhere which will allow a more scientific, quantifiable comparison but to my ears the Yamaha is far more responsive than the Spector.

Personally I prefer the Spector....sorry to all those expecting this to be a "Praise be" post for the Yamaha.

Anybody want to take it off my hands???

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

The p/ups on the Yamaha are much, much hotter. The Yammie makes my TE AH150 smx clip quite badly at around 2-3 (Gain), where as it will happily take the input from the Spector at 5 or 6 without any clipping at all. 

I'm sure there are articles online somewhere which will allow a more scientific, quantifiable comparison but to my ears the Yamaha is far more responsive than the Spector.

Personally I prefer the Spector....sorry to all those expecting this to be a "Praise be" post for the Yamaha.

Yeah 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks Mick - did you mean it that way around i.e. Yammy more responsive than the Spector?

Yeah 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️