Why become a member? ×

Rush - Cinema Strangiato

GarethFlatlands

I'm sure I must have missed another thread on this as there's a lot of Rush fans on here, but if there is one then I can't find it!

Did anyone go and see this last night? It was on at one of my local independent cinemas. A bit disappointing in that I'd seen a lot of it before, being composed mostly of footage from R40 and a few interviews, but as being a latecomer means I'll never see them live so this was about as close as I'll ever get to a Rush concert.

I went to the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle and saw it there. I'm not the world's biggest Rush fan, they're a superb band and I like them a lot but I'm not an expert and I'm not a huge lover of their entire body of work. With that caveat, I thought it was a little too long and (at least in our cinema) I found the high end very harsh and the concert footage was quite tiring to listen to. I also slightly resented being made to sit through the long advert for Geddy's new bass book.

6/10.

As an aside, my girlfriend was dragged along under duress as my +1, she's definitely not a fan and finds Rush a bit cork-sniffy. I had to ply her with gin and a nice meal beforehand to get her to agree to it as my date night this month. She loved the documentary side of it, found it a really fascinating and easy insight into a cult band that she knew nothing about. The concert footage still wasn't to her taste, she just doesn't do prog. As the Morello's interview alluded to, I think she was one of around 7 women there.

Edited by Jack

I thought it was just my cinema that had issues with a harsh top end, having seen music videos and docs there before and experiencing the same problem, but it sounds like maybe you need very specific mixing and mastering for a cinema sound system.

It was a good excuse to have a burrito and a few drinks with mates, but it was probably cheaper and more convenient to go to someone's house and watch it there like we did with Time Stands Still. Having it mid week meant everyone had to split for work straight after too.