Why become a member? ×

Synth notes controlled by footpedal

Rik (ESA)

Hi all, 

My latest ridiculous scheme is to introduce some synth tones (strings, pads, maybe brass etc) to our cover band, controlled via a footpedal, for example the Keith Mcmillen softstep. 

Synth wise, I've looked initially at things like the Korg Microkorg and the Roland JD-XI, but am I over simplifying things, or indeed overcomplicating things? I'd like to spend no more than £500 if possible so would welcome ideas, and I have an ipad lurking if that could be utilised. 

Thanks in advance. 

Rick

I've used a Korg Volca Bass Analog with a Roland PK5. Worked fine and can do a rough impression of a Minotaur. Can also be run off a Mcmillen 12-step with the MIDI expander, although only monophonically. I've just ordered a Midiplus Miniengine to try some other stuff as I no longer need the Minitaur emulation but fancy some polyphonics. One thing - the 12step has a limitation on control change messages so (IIRC) it'll only send one byte messages, not two-byte ones. This means I can't issue program change messages to a Roland XV-2020 and would have to mess with the controls to change the patch, hence trying the Midiplus instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Roland PK-5A and a Keith McMillen 12-step; the PK-5A is a simple workhorse and the 12-step needs programming, but can trigger multiple events per keypress.

They run to a Minitaur (which is a bit of a one-trick pony) and a Roland JV-1010, which has loads of built-in sounds and can take a plugin card (eg. Vintage Synth or Orchestral).

Either of those pedal units plus a JV-1010 is well within budget.

Edited by prowla