Why become a member? ×

2 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I think you're jumping the gun, the average beginner or their parents won't want to spend more than £100 on a bass. The £200 bracket would be the second or third bass.

What are you basing that on?

I've just done a quick search in GAK, and their cheapest bass starts are £145. Using your logic, that would suggest GAK are completely ignoring the starter market and going straight to 2nd instrument buyers. I don't think that's the case. 

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/4-string-bass-guitars

• Like 1

Just now, DoubleOhStephan said:

I've just done a quick search in GAK, and their cheapest bass starts are £145. Using your logic, that would suggest GAK are completely ignoring the starter market and going straight to 2nd instrument buyers. I don't think that's the case. 

I said used, I never said new!

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Used is best bang for buck. But I've already said in this thread, the best new sub £100 bass is a HB pb50, hands down.

I don't disagree, but I'm asking what you are basing your assertion that "the average beginner or parent don't want to spend more than £100 on a bass" on? 

Given the entry level market starts at £150, for your assessment of the market to be true, dealers would rarely sell any basses to new players. 

Wealthy parents or parents who are already musicians are more than likely just going to throw the most amount they can at an instrument to get the best possible. The non-musical or budget conscious family with the youngster who suddenly wants to take up bass to become a future rock star are more likely to be looking to spend as little as possible at the outset, and I would say this group far outweighs the first group I mentioned.

• Like 1

Or to put it another way....

Wealthy/musician parents/ "The Elite" = Bass Direct or The Gallery.

Family on a budget.. GAK or Thomann

Scratters / Low life peasants = Gear4Music or Cash Converters

There you go. 🤪

Edited by Bleat
added to post
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

This was the case years ago, but in the last decade there are so many solid starter basses on the market, all can be picked up used for sub £100. They are well made and have good necks for better playability. Yes, they won't be the best sounding bass, but they will make the right noises. Avoid all the "vintage" overpriced junk, and pick up a Yamaha, Peavey, Squier, Ibanez, SX, Harley Benton, J&D.

Bang on the money I would say :)

40 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

I don't disagree, but I'm asking what you are basing your assertion that "the average beginner or parent don't want to spend more than £100 on a bass" on? 

Given the entry level market starts at £150, for your assessment of the market to be true, dealers would rarely sell any basses to new players. 

Ok, so who buys all the used sub £100 basses? Seeing as there is far more of them than new cheap basses.

29 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Seeing as there is far more of them than new cheap basses.

On further consideration, I'd also query the validity of this statement. Using eBay as a barometer (a predominantly used marketplace so should be weighted to used instruments) and by applying the following filters (category - bass guitar, buying format - buy-it-now ((to exclude more expensive gear with a low start price)), price range - under £100, located - UK only) the results are - 

Used - 112

Opened, never used - 26

Refurbished - 3

Total all used - 141

New - 175

Screenshot_20190825_121619_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

8 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

On further consideration, I'd also query the validity of this statement. Using eBay as a barometer (a predominantly used marketplace so should be weighted to used instruments) and by applying the following filters (category - bass guitar, buying format - buy-it-now ((to exclude more expensive gear with a low start price)), price range - under £100, located - UK only) the results are - 

Used - 112

Opened, never used - 26

Refurbished - 3

Total all used - 141

New - 175

Screenshot_20190825_121619_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

I have no idea why you wish to hijack this thread, but to answer your question, eBay is NO barometer for the whole bass market. You have no idea how long "new" basses on eBay have been there unsold, so will obviously build up over time. If you measure how many used basses were sold over the same time period, you may get your answer. Not to mention all the other websites etc which sell used basses.

I'd guess there's 30+ years of cheap basses (i.e sub £100 used) against all the new basses made sub £200 in the last year or so. You do the maths.

If you wish to discuss this further, pm me. 😀

If anybody asks me, I will steer them to find an ergonomic solution.

1) scale length? (estimated together)

2) style?

3) a used or a new one and why?

4) some instrument suggestions ⁸based on these and the price range.

It is also reasonable to suggest:

a) professional setup and at least

b) new strings, a light set of 40-100 is a good start for a beginner,

c) a wide strap and

d) one quality silicone cable.

I live in a country that has pretty big changes in temp, so if a bag is in order, thicker is better to reduce temp shocks.

Last, but definitely not least is a test drive. I want to try the instrument and I want that the person tries it, too.

This is just one way.

Edited by itu
text issues
  • Like 2

I would stick the £80 Harley Benton PB-20 on your list. It's a decent P-bass for little money. The £125 JB-75 is another fine bass but weighing 12lb might come as a shock to a beginner.

The £90 LA and £100 LA II & Louisiana from G4M look interesting,reckon they get the necks same place as Peavey does for Milestones. The £80 alder body P-bass from DV24-7 deserves a mention.

Unless the beginner has a pal with some savvy I'd steer them clear of the used market. Too often I see basses with saddles so far out of whack it'll be out of tune beyond the 5th fret,others will need forearms like Garth to play 😃 

The best advice is just buy a bass you can afford. 

• Like 3

A list like this needs to be encouraging people to get into making music. So there's a responsibility to make sure none of the suggestions are 'lemons' and that although £200 is not an unrealistic price for most people, sub £100 needs to be covered too to reach as many people as possible.

I learnt electric guitar on a Kay - it's a classic POS - but it's actually really playable, once it was set up properly, so I think one thing to stress is the importance of making sure a bass is well set up. The best bass in the world is unplayable with loose truss rod and high action!

I learned bass on a precision, but it was loaned to me. My first bass was a Hohner Jazz. Every Hohner instrument I've played (guitars, basses, harmonicas and a drumkit!) has been good value and quality for the money. I think today you are possibly looking at Squier/Harley Benton or Ibanez to cover the same range of quality and price these days. Vintage are supposed to be good for the price as well.

I've been bowled over by my Fender Jaguar SS, I also remember how easy to play I found a Fender Mustang when I met one in the 80s. The Jag SS really MUST be on any list of beginner's basses.

Probably worth you adding a paragraph to describe why each bass is a good choice.

My golden rules would be:

Try before you buy, make sure it's set up and if you don't feel 'at home' with it, walk away.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A list like this needs to be encouraging people to get into making music. So there's a responsibility to make sure none of the suggestions are 'lemons' and that although £200 is not an unrealistic price for most people, sub £100 needs to be covered too to reach as many people as possible.

I learnt electric guitar on a Kay - it's a classic POS - but it's actually really playable, once it was set up properly, so I think one thing to stress is the importance of making sure a bass is well set up. The best bass in the world is unplayable with loose truss rod and high action!

I learned bass on a precision, but it was loaned to me. My first bass was a Hohner Jazz. Every Hohner instrument I've played (guitars, basses, harmonicas and a drumkit!) has been good value and quality for the money. I think today you are possibly looking at Squier/Harley Benton or Ibanez to cover the same range of quality and price these days. Vintage are supposed to be good for the price as well.

I've been bowled over by my Fender Jaguar SS, I also remember how easy to play I found a Fender Mustang when I met one in the 80s. The Jag SS really MUST be on any list of beginner's basses.

Probably worth you adding a paragraph to describe why each bass is a good choice.

My golden rules would be:

Try before you buy, make sure it's set up and if you don't feel 'at home' with it, walk away.

I would just add to the above, take someone who knows about basses if you can.

• Like 5

On 25/08/2019 at 13:03, itu said:

If anybody asks me, I will steer them to find an ergonomic solution.

1) scale length? (estimated together)

2) style?

3) a used or a new one and why?

4) some instrument suggestions ⁸based on these and the price range.

It is also reasonable to suggest:

a) professional setup and at least

b) new strings, a light set of 40-100 is a good start for a beginner,

c) a wide strap and

d) one quality silicone cable.

I live in a country that has pretty big changes in temp, so if a bag is in order, thicker is better to reduce temp shocks.

Last, but definitely not least is a test drive. I want to try the instrument and I want that the person tries it, too.

This is just one way.

Good list and great suggestion to recommend straps, leads, etc.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2019 at 10:47, DoubleOhStephan said:

Personally I would think you can get an ok starter bass from £100 to £200. 

• Like 2

On 25/08/2019 at 14:47, kodiakblair said:

I would stick the £80 Harley Benton PB-20 on your list. It's a decent P-bass for little money. The £125 JB-75 is another fine bass but weighing 12lb might come as a shock to a beginner.

The £90 LA and £100 LA II & Louisiana from G4M look interesting,reckon they get the necks same place as Peavey does for Milestones. The £80 alder body P-bass from DV24-7 deserves a mention.

Unless the beginner has a pal with some savvy I'd steer them clear of the used market. Too often I see basses with saddles so far out of whack it'll be out of tune beyond the 5th fret,others will need forearms like Garth to play 😃 

The best advice is just buy a bass you can afford. 

Thanks, some very good advice here. 

• Like 1

I guess it's now established that it is definitely a vague question to ask "what's best..." but alas one that will always get asked, and from all the given answers here, there is no quick, one sentence answer or just making a simple list of possible basses as that could just go on forever and still not give the new player a clue!

Would be a good thing to come up with a *sort of* stock answer which incorporates all the important things to consider , but doesn't become a load of waffle that makes peoples eyes roll into the back of their heads. A bonus is that it shows that you are taking an interest, and engaging with them and their new found hobby which will always be appreciated.

I don't really agree with the mention of learning to play a poorly setup instrument to appreciate better ones in the future. Maybe for us oldies who grew up in a different time, that could have been a thing but whether we like it or not, youngsters especially these days want more instant gratification or they quickly lose interest and move onto other things....why make it *hard* just because that's how a lot of us may have "learned".... just get a cheap bass and account for a decent setup from the outset = easier to play instrument = interest in continuing to play maintained.

Just more random thoughts 🤪

33 minutes ago, greghagger said:

Personally I would think you can get an ok starter bass from £100 to £200. 

I agree, I think sub £100 you're either buying an already budget bass not worth much more than that new (but without warranty), a higher value bass with possible problems or you're getting a bargain. For it to be option 3 you need to know what you're looking at and what to avoid, not something a first time buyer can be expected to know. 

• Like 1