Why become a member? ×

What qualifies a bass as a 'beginner' bass?

Surely the easier a bass is to play the better....that would, for me, rank my EBMM USA Sterling 4HH at the top of the list and my first bass, a late 70s Kay at the very bottom.

Edited by Twigman

19 minutes ago, greghagger said:

Twigman, I have a lovely Suhr bass that is extremely easy to play, but I wouldn’t recommend it to a beginner, because of the price. I personally think price is a major factor for a beginner bass, in most cases. 

That's why I asked what qualifies a bass as a 'beginner' bass.

I wish I'd started learning to play on a playable bass rather than the POS that i did start on ( a 300lb Kay PBass with skyscraper action and a neck like a baseball bat).

The easier to play the 'better' for a beginner. IMHO price should be irrelevant.

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, greghagger said:

Pretty cheap. Any experience with these?

Personally I've got a PB 50 - very good & doesn't feel/sound like a  " cheap" bass. Theres a lot of BC love for Harley Benton -  just do a quick search there's quite a few threads 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Donnyboy said:

Personally I've got a PB 50 - very good & doesn't feel/sound like a  " cheap" bass. Theres a lot of BC love for Harley Benton -  just do a quick search there's quite a few threads 

Thanks, I’ll definitely have a look. 

13 minutes ago, Twigman said:

That's why I asked what qualifies a bass as a 'beginner' bass.

I wish I'd started learning to play on a playable bass rather than the POS that i did start on ( a 300lb Kay PBass with skyscraper action and a neck like a baseball bat).

The easier to play the 'better' for a beginner. IMHO price should be irrelevant.

Image a scenario..... someone you know, who hasn’t got much money,  wants to start playing bass, and has asked you for a few suggestions of basses. Which basses would be on your list?

• Like 1

Revelation range.  £199 new.  I've had 40 basses up and down the price range, from a Harley Benton to higher end single cut Ibanez and Fenders. My Revelation fretless P bass is my favourite to date.  Nicely made, great sound and nothing money. I wouldn't reach over a Revelation for a Squier, although the latter is OK. One of London's high end shops, the Camden Bass Gallery, recommends and sells them.  I rest my case m'lud.   Next up would be a Sire.

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Revelation range.  £199 new.  I've had 40 basses up and down the price range and my Revelation fretless P bass is my favourite to date.  Nicely made, great sound and nothing money.  One of London's high end shops, the Camden Bass Gallery, recommends and sells them.  I rest my case m'lud. 

Another brand I haven’t heard of!! I best pull my finger out!

I have frequented The Bass Gallery too, over the years. Great place! 

9 minutes ago, greghagger said:

Image a scenario..... someone you know, who hasn’t got much money,  wants to start playing bass, and has asked you for a few suggestions of basses. Which basses would be on your list?

You need to set a budget, people's version of "cheap" or not much money differs (alot!).

Also, knowing the kind of music they want to play is also important. Then people can suggest the best bass, including string choice.

By simplifying the question, what's the best or good cheap bass won't give you the best or even right answer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, greghagger said:

I'd probably suggests he opts for kazoo rather than bass.

After all I wouldn't want him stealing my gig, would I?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

You need to set a budget, people's version of "cheap" or not much money differs (alot!).

Also, knowing the kind of music they want to play is also important. Then people can suggest the best bass, including string choice.

By simplifying the question, what's the best or good cheap bass won't give you the best or even right answer.

You're right about cheap/not cheap being personal.  Personally I'd call under £200 new cheap, £2-500 intermediate and anything else, serious. Secondhand is different. But I beg to differ on needing to know the type of music.  Mostly we're recommending brands with several models.  The Revelation range will cover you from acoustic semi, through J and P bass, fretted and fretless and on to Musicman-esque sound, all within a similar price range. Squier and Sire also cover several basses.      

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

It would give you a range of basses and price ranges to get started though.  

51 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

You're right about cheap/not cheap being personal.  Personally I'd call under £200 new cheap, £2-500 intermediate and anything else, serious. Secondhand is different. But I beg to differ on needing to know the type of music.  Mostly we're recommending brands with several models.  The Revelation range will cover you from acoustic semi, through J and P bass, fretted and fretless and on to Musicman-esque sound, all within a similar price range. Squier and Sire also cover several basses.      

Good points. The idea of this list, was to answer a question that I hear a lot. Providing a list of basses would steer Beginners in the right direction, to get an idea of what basses to try out. 

48 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

But I beg to differ on needing to know the type of music.  

If a person wanting to play punk, doesn't tell you, and you suggest a Squier bronco (which is an excellent starter bass) or a jazz with 'vintage' voiced pick-ups and flats, they're not going to get the right sound they want. This is why I believe knowing what type of music they want to play is justified.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

If a person wanting to play punk, doesn't tell you, and you suggest a Squier bronco (which is an excellent starter bass) or a jazz with 'vintage' voiced pick-ups and flats, they're not going to get the right sound they want. This is why I believe knowing what type of music they want to play is justified.

Remember though, that a simple list will suffice, to point people in the right direction.  

We’ll get onto making the encyclopaedia next.  If anyone still makes those?!  😂

• Like 2

Ibanez Talman range.  Available for under £150.00 brand new.

I've just bought a Talman TMB100M from Tom1946 and, after lowering the action a little to suit my playing style, it's a superb bass.  I gigged it on Saturday night.  It's up there with my US Fenders for sound and playability.   The hardware, woods and assembly are good enough to gig this bass for life.

I wish I'd owned a Talman when I was starting out on bass.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1