Why become a member? ×

S'Rays Old & New

B.Flat

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question but here goes anyway.

I have just acquired a '91 Stingray.

My main bass from 1978 to 2004 was an MM Stingray, which was stolen from my car and which I have never really gotten over.

I have a faithful recreation of the '78 preamp and I hope to resurrect the sound of my lost treasure. However the body of the '91 is swamp ash and much lighter than the '78 poplar body.

I would like to hear from people who have maybe done this already or people who think I am wasting my time, or indeed anyone with some contribution to make.

The bridge is not through-body but I can modify the existing bridge to do that. The main reason I am posting this is that I can not now remember exactly what the old bass sounded like, only that it was very distinctive, and this '91er does not sound exactly distinctive, if you know what I mean. yes, this all sounds very confused, and it is, but I would love to hear some voices and comments.

Gutted to hear that :( 

I tried replacing a 79 Sabre 10 years after selling a really good one. The second one was great, but it didn’t vibe as well and listening back to recordings of the first one proved it. I imagine your situation is tougher though due to the sentimental ties. 

Considering you understandably can’t exactly recall the tone of your  first one, I’d suggest just playing Rays until you really click with the right one. A bass is a sum of all its parts, and perhaps its past, so the same spec (e.g. Poplar) may not have the same effect. 

Best of luck.