Why become a member? ×

Tri Parallel Mixer planning

stewblack

WOO! That looks like a cool way to run the rig! The only thing I have spotted that might need keeping an eye on is the level coming out of the Ashdown in to the B3. There isn't a gain control on the B3 - and I found that I could clip the input stage just with a bass using EMG active pickups. If the effects loop is a bit on the hot side, it might need taming before hitting the front end of the B3. Love the Octave in parallel with drive :) That will be nice!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing a spot of planning too although currently stuck between using the loops and just using it as a splitter.  If I use it as a splitter, I can preserve the stereo imaging with stereo Soundlab Micromixer.

1) Dry: FEA Labs Double Compressor

2) Bass synth chain:  Akai Deep Impact -> Eventide H9 (future purchase)

3) Arpeggiator:  Future Impact -> EHX Freeze pedal -> Adrenalinn III

image.png

The idea is to be able to trigger arpeggiated bass synth at the same time as I'm playing a different bass synth patch.  Or hold a drone using the EHX Freeze while playing bass synth over it.  If I was gigging, the bass synth pedals, adrenalinn and H9 would be MIDI connected for specific song patches.

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I've been doing a spot of planning too although currently stuck between using the loops and just using it as a splitter.  If I use it as a splitter, I can preserve the stereo imaging with stereo Soundlab Micromixer

Actually my first gig with it will be as a splitter. Sending an octave up to a guitar amp through guitar effects. 

On 28/08/2019 at 18:22, Dood said:

WOO! That looks like a cool way to run the rig! The only thing I have spotted that might need keeping an eye on is the level coming out of the Ashdown in to the B3. There isn't a gain control on the B3 - and I found that I could clip the input stage just with a bass using EMG active pickups. If the effects loop is a bit on the hot side, it might need taming before hitting the front end of the B3. Love the Octave in parallel with drive :) That will be nice!

Thanks mate, this was very theoretical. Now I have the TPM I'm realising just how complex the possibilities are. But also how easily adjustable too. 

Great tip about the B3 thank you. 

I have a Joyo JF 14 American Sound on my guitar board - what a great pedal that is!

On 19/09/2019 at 15:02, stewblack said:

@Kiwi I'd love to hear some sound clips 

It's a work in progress at the moment, mainly due to the cost of the H9 and I don't have the Deep Impact with me at the moment.  Right now I can play dry plus arpeggiator.

The Freeze pedal is really interesting though. It's like the sustain pedal on a piano, hit it and whatever it's hearing is millisecond sampled and looped.  Great for sustaining an arpeggiator.  The only fly in the ointment at the moment is that it's still possible to play through the Freeze pedal once the Freeze button is pressed.  This is fine for solo accompaniment but for my set up it means I can still trigger the arpeggiator with any notes that are passed on by the Freeze.  It would be really nice if they had a microswitch on the pedal which said 'play thru: on/off".

Speaking of arpeggiators, I have both an Adrenalinn III and a Cooper Moment Machine at the moment.  The Adrenalinn has a little extra attack at the start of an arpeggiated note but it's a PITA to programme without paying extra for an editor.  The Moment Machine is a bit more portamento style which makes it harder to punch out dance riffs but it has a pretty friendly user interface.

26 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I have a Joyo JF 14 American Sound on my guitar board - what a great pedal that is!

It is almost unbeatable for the money. Mine is in a loop with the Ricochet which I'm using as an octave up. It dirties up the higher sound nicely. I have even used it as a preamp for my bass at a gig and it was great. 

58 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

It's a work in progress at the moment, mainly due to the cost of the H9 and I don't have the Deep Impact with me at the moment.  Right now I can play dry plus arpeggiator.

The Freeze pedal is really interesting though. It's like the sustain pedal on a piano, hit it and whatever it's hearing is millisecond sampled and looped.  Great for sustaining an arpeggiator.  The only fly in the ointment at the moment is that it's still possible to play through the Freeze pedal once the Freeze button is pressed.  This is fine for solo accompaniment but for my set up it means I can still trigger the arpeggiator with any notes that are passed on by the Freeze.  It would be really nice if they had a microswitch on the pedal which said 'play thru: on/off".

Speaking of arpeggiators, I have both an Adrenalinn III and a Cooper Moment Machine at the moment.  The Adrenalinn has a little extra attack at the start of an arpeggiated note but it's a PITA to programme without paying extra for an editor.  The Moment Machine is a bit more portamento style which makes it harder to punch out dance riffs but it has a pretty friendly user interface.

Having an apreggiator is really cool agreed! But it feels like a lot of cost and pb space to be delivering that with the FI + Freeze + Adrenalinn vs using a single pedal e.g. the Boss SY-1 or SA C4?

Edited by Al Krow

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Having an apreggiator is really cool agreed! But speaking of unbeatable for the money, it feels like a lot of cost and pb space to be delivering that with the FI + Freeze + Adrenalinn vs being able to all of that with a single pedal e.g. the Boss SY-1 or SA C4?

Fair points but the Boss SY1 isn't programmable for arp though...and neither was the Eventide Pitchfactor that I used to own.  Also the sound of the SY1 (at least when I tried it) was more like a synth waveform of indiscriminate pitch + pitched note from the bass.  It's been a while though so perhaps that has changed with revisions?

I haven't tried the SA C4 but I already own the FI and a Deep Impact so it's money already spent.  The only outlay I face right now is the H9.

In terms of value for money, it would be far simpler and cheaper to get a set of Taurus pedals and an old synth module like a Roland JV1080.  But I would prefer to use my hands...so I'll probably sell the moment machine and use the proceeds towards the H9.

• Like 1