Why become a member? ×

Would You Stay Or Would You Go?

Monkey Steve

I'm asking on behalf of a friend...no, really...

In fact the friend won't care in the slightest what you all think, but I thought it was an interesting topic to post to see what different reactions it provokes

My mate moved across the country for work a couple of years ago - dream job in a location he loves.  He is an excellent drummer but isn't a pro, doesn't do it for the money, and just wants to get out and play gigs.

He's ended up in a slightly remote community where there is a very healthy music scene - a lot of venues and a lot of live music played by local bands.  So he's joined one and loves it, although it's not entirely his sort of music.  He was then asked to dep for another band playing music that is far more his type of thing, and he's ended up playing a few gigs with them while their normal drummer is indisposed.

The dep band have been somewhat surprised by how good he is - much better than their normal drummer, and he thinks that they may well ask him to join permanently.

However, he's nervous of unseating another musician, particularly as it is a very small (he says incestuous) musical community - apparently when forming a new band there is always a discussion about who's been in which bands with who before, and who's fallen out with other potential band members.

To add to that, despite the band seemingly being quite well regarded and having a reasonable amount of gigs lined up, he thinks their singer is awful.  Not a good voice and no exciting front person personality on show.  The others are pretty good and if they could find another singist...

So if they asked you to join permanently would you:

1. Say no thanks because you don't want to steal the position from the existing drummer
  2. Say no thanks because you can't see yourself staying very long because of the singer
  3. Say yes, who cares about the other drummer and if they're playing music you like and have a lot of gigs then you're happy even if the singer's a but rubbish
  4. Say yes but the singer's got to go
  5. Say no, but if the good musicians ever want to do something else with a new singer, let you know

• Like 2

I'll go first. 

This being the sneaky version of #3 and #4 that makes him look like a nice bloke and making it the other musicians issue if they want to dispose of the other drummer and singer.  He still has his other band, and even if it comes to nothing with the dep lot, he will have boosted his reputation in the local circle of musicians as being a great drummer and a good bloke (which he is)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

I'll go first. 

This being the sneaky version of #3 and #4 that makes him look like a nice bloke and making it the other musicians issue if they want to dispose of the other drummer and singer.  He still has his other band, and even if it comes to nothing with the dep lot, he will have boosted his reputation in the local circle of musicians as being a great drummer and a good bloke (which he is)

Yep, this would be my choice too

Not sure which number to choose. My aim, when depping, is to be the best bassist they've seen, including their regular guy, but I'm not trying to pinch anyone's job. No one will offer me any gigs if they think that is going to happen. I'm friends with all the bassists I dep for and I wouldn't crap on my own doorstep!

I had a situation recently when I was asked my availability for a gig in the same email that went to the regular bass player. I answered that I was good for that date and the next day got cc'ed in an email telling the regular bass player not to bother because he'd not replied in time and I was on the gig!! This is all the work of the band leader, but I feel very uncomfortable about this.

Players talk to each other and if you are a wrong'un they'll mark your card in an instant. If everything is above board then fine, but I'd never stab anyone in the back in order to get a gig. Was all that waffle #6?

• Like 1

I`d go for 5. You aren`t shafting the current drummer but your letting them know that should changes happen you would be interested.

Or do what Ian Paice did when asked to join Deep Purple. He didn`t give a toss about the current drummer, he "grabbed the opportunity with both hands." It seems to have worked out okay for him.

Number 1, saying he's happy to help whenever. The only way forward that doesn't get him a bad rep is to time it right and start a new band himself. Personally I'd book a gig for the dep band on a date the regular singer couldn't do and hope they had the same reaction to the new vocalist as they did to him!

#1 for me, but with a side order of 5.

Say you respect the community and don’t want to be the guy that takes someone else’s gig. Say your always happy to dep, and say if anyone fancies a jam and wants to do something a little different musically on the side that could be fun.

In my eyes there is no issue with gigging a couple of bands with different people.

• Like 2

#4 for me, #5 is just a more diplomatic version of #4 if you ask me, in fact one where you can shift the choice/blame back on to the other band members. If your ideal situation is being in that band with a different singer then don’t p155 about around the edges of that, aim for it. I was a drummer who was usurped in exactly this fashion, the band was better after my replacement stepped in and I have usurped a bass player in the same fashion too, I have remained on good terms with both. I realise this is down to being unbelievably lucky that there were very little ego problems in either band and equally lucky that they were all very reasonable and not inclined to willy wave...

Oh, hang on, I’m an ‘orrible bastard. 

• Haha 1

One of the current bands I'm in, had an awful drummer when I was asked to join. I said he had to go before I'd become a member of the band. He got the heave ho and they recruited a better drummer.

I then joined the band.

I'm a bad person.

P.S. But in my defence........he was a shockingly bad drummer.

28 minutes ago, NJE said:

#1 for me, but with a side order of 5.

Say you respect the community and don’t want to be the guy that takes someone else’s gig. Say your always happy to dep, and say if anyone fancies a jam and wants to do something a little different musically on the side that could be fun.

In my eyes there is no issue with gigging a couple of bands with different people.

I think that this sums it up. 

He's not being offered the gig in Deep Purple, he's trying to break into a close knit local music scene where everybody is likely to have played with each other in the past and have long term, rather convoluted friendships. Stealing another muso's gig after depping for them is generally considered to be bad form - would you want him to dep for you going foward?? To then demand that the band sacks their singer is just going to make too many enemies. It doesn't matter how good you are if no one wants to play with you because you've got a reputation for being a ruthless d1ck...! 

However, nothing to stop you suggesting trying out a side project with guys who you've been gigging with... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

Politically, I'd tell them #1. Because it is a relatively small and incestuous scene, this may be better for any potential future projects... However...

Follow it up with #5 (or a version of #5 without mentioning the singist).

I would turn down the offer. I would say I was made up to be asked, and loved playing with you guys, but you already have a drummer who is a band member. I would add that If the drummer ever chose to leave I would be more than happy to step in.  That way you leave all the doors open without making any enemies and you keep your reputation as a good guy and someone who can be trusted.

• Like 3