Why become a member? ×

Do you sit your bass on left or right leg when playing?

Chrisbassboy5

I try to avoid playing sitting down. All of my gigs involve standing and playing, and if I practice sitting down, I find I can't play properly standing up. I played 3-4 hours at home today, same as most days recently, and didn't sit down once while playing. Mostly as I couldn't be sure I'd be able to stand up again if I did!

If I rest on my right leg then the bass feels too high compared to my normal playing position when stood, my right arm ends up at an unnatural angle and my shoulder starts to ache, and to top it off I usually end up with the body finding a badly placed nerve so get a dead leg for my troubles as well! Right-Left for me, then, which may be the only thing I do in a manner advocated by anyone at all! 🙂

3 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Mine is nearer to my knees on a strap! No way could I play it tucked up under my chin like Mark King does.

The bass doesn't sit that high. The top of the contour cut sits along the bottom of my rib cage. (similar to the height Billy Sheehan plays at). If I play much lower then I get pain in my fretting hand...and I don't want carpal tunnel. Also it limits variation of how the bass sits if you have gigs sitting or standing.

I alternate between right and left leg depending on what I’m working on at the time. I think a big part of it stems from my former octave pedal addiction - playing in the upper register is a must for most octave pedals so it makes ergonomic sense to have the bass on my left leg. For straight ahead groove playing, the right leg is king for me.

22 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I try to avoid playing sitting down. All of my gigs involve standing and playing, and if I practice sitting down, I find I can't play properly standing up. I played 3-4 hours at home today, same as most days recently, and didn't sit down once while playing. Mostly as I couldn't be sure I'd be able to stand up again if I did!

I played a gig seated once. I'd been involved in a car accident and used my Hohner B2AV  as my back was not happy. I managed to get the rest of the band to give me a lift AND carry all my gear/ set it up.

First and only time that happened! 🤣

22 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I played a gig seated once. I'd been involved in a car accident and used my Hohner B2AV  as my back was not happy. I managed to get the rest of the band to give me a lift AND carry all my gear/ set it up.

First and only time that happened! 🤣

me too - after I broke my leg (and the band had to carry my gear for a few months).  Though I was playing guitar in that band, not bass.

But couldn't abide playing a gig while sat down.  The playing was OK, but felt really detached from the gig itself, not being able to move around.  Did it for one gig, then went back to standing up.  First couple of gigs were tricky, getting used to standing without crutches, and switching pedals on and off took some practice, but it probably helped my recovery

On 21/08/2019 at 18:06, Marvin said:

Neither. Always use a strap, same height sat down or stood up. Never sits on my leg.

My strap would be too long to play in the same position sitting down.

In answer to the original question :

Do you sit your bass on left or right leg when playing?

Yes but only when playing while sat down.

On 22/08/2019 at 16:27, BigRedX said:

I always stand up to play. All my important playing (at gigs and band rehearsals) is done that way; so I simply can't see the point of playing whilst sitting down.

I’m the opposite these days because my back is screwed, so I sit down at gigs, rehearsals and practice. 

Right hand, right leg BTW.

Edited by 4000