Why become a member? ×

Do you sit your bass on left or right leg when playing?

Chrisbassboy5

That's just weird - right leg for right handed players

Not that I've ever thought about it, it just feels right...er...correct on that leg.  However, now that i have thought about it, the weirder using your left leg seems - the bass seems in an unnatural position compared to where it will hang if you are playing standing up.

Right handed, right leg.

I'm at home this week so I just grabbed a bass and tried it on the left leg.

Maybe it's closer to where it would be if it was hanging on the strap, but I found twisting round that extra bit really uncomfortable. Not to mention that the first fret suddenly feels miles away.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ped said:

When you say left leg I presume it’s in the style of Hadrien Feraud where I guess it gives better access to upper frets for solo playing? 

19A021B0-F1D2-49FA-9953-4B22E01AB3B0.jpeg

Great for exercise up the neck, but a bit of a ball-ache further down..... 

4 hours ago, Chrisbassboy5 said:

Talking Bass advocate using the left leg to rest the bass for sitting playing but for me it twists my spine and does, in some way make playing easier.. what's everybodies view. Not something  I ever considered or was taught...?

OMG! It works!! 😮

It's much more inline (horizontally), with the standing position, and now there's a curve in the bass that fits my right moob nicely. 😬

Everything I thought I knew was wrong! :facepalm:

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, ped said:

When you say left leg I presume it’s in the style of Hadrien Feraud where I guess it gives better access to upper frets for solo playing? 

19A021B0-F1D2-49FA-9953-4B22E01AB3B0.jpeg

That's how I play, but don't really get up the dusty end. I have really long arms so don't struggle for reach.

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Right for me and I’m right handed but I’m working on some Tony Grey techniques at the moment and he talks about this , because he uses the left left leg, I tried it but it feels odd 🙂

Left Left Leg? You are Jake the Peg and I claim my £25.00.

• Haha 3