Why become a member? ×

Does anyone else remember Decimax?

Delberthot

For some reason this just came into my head the other day.

I vaguely remember reading an article in Guitarist (I think) with a picture of a big stack that looked identicle to Trace Elliot but with red lights on the amp instead of green.

I think they were a digital offshoot of Trace.

Does anyone have any information on them?

I'm not looking to buy one, just curious to find out more about them and why they disappeared as i don't remember ever seeing them in a guitar shop.

[quote name='crez5150' post='361812' date='Dec 23 2008, 11:24 AM']I vaguely remember it..... definitely something to do with Trace Elliot...... have to have a a look back through my old magazines...[/quote]

Ditto from me but I'm not sure about the TE connection; wouldn't dispute it though, as this was around the time TE were diversifying. Time to delve into the 'Bassist' box... I may be gone some time! :)

I sad one at a show someewhere I recall.

If I remember rightly it was something that was either programable or didnt have conventional knobs and switches.

I got the impression it was either looking to be a much more modern amp than TE or it was designed and shown by an ex TE person and got nowhere because of lack of interest

• 9 years later...

Decimax... Think they were related to Carlsbro some way weren't they? Definitely Guitarist vintage. I remember the ad with the chap with the 6 string Overwater strapped up high and beige turtleneck tucked into his jeans...

Edited by Bigwan

10 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Decimax... Think they were related to Carlsbro some way weren't they? Definitely Guitarist vintage. I remember the ad with the chap with the 6 string Overwater strapped up high and beige turtleneck tucked into his jeans...

Think that was their Delta range. Two heads ( 300 or 600 watt) with blue front panels and also in combo + extension cab form. Sounded quite nice as I remember, designed to take on Trace in the late 80’s but unfortunately about the same weight 😄

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I remember them. Saw a picture of what was essentially a brown Trace rig. Looked pretty industrial. Blurb mentioned something about being digital. However, surprisingly I can't find a picture of it online. 

Edited by visog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 17:17, John field said:

I’ve got one. It’s a D600. I think it’s 600 a side. Beast of an amp and weighs a ton. I’m getting it serviced to sell on as I don’t use it. I’m a guitarist and it was used in my studio room for bass players to use. Never seen another so obviously really rare.👍

I can throw some light on  the Decimax subject.I designed these amps after leaving my post as Technical director of Trace Elliot.I designed the original Trace Elliots and all subsequent ones up to the mk 5 series. Decimax amps had programmable graphic eq and levels plus a midi interface to control  and memorise any external effects along with your chosen eq and level.A separate smaller manual graphic allowed for tweaking to compensate for room acoustics without needing to re programme your settings.Main models were D300 and D600  which were 300 and 600 watts respectively.  Speaker cabs were either 1x 15 or 4x10.Both featured rear porting.These amps had no connection with Carlsbro at all and were built at our factory in Essex.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...