Why become a member? ×

Recording Revelation

stewblack

Just finished an afternoon recording a bass part for a couple of friends. Gave them the option of flats or rounds and they opted for flats. 

Realised that I'd never recorded with flatwounds before, and what a revelation! The best recorded bass sound I've ever enjoyed. 

So hard to put into words but it had an organic authenticity, and a fundamental thick rubbery satisfying sound.

Great day. Used my B3 for a touch of compression and an  amp sim and the engineer was pleasantly surprised with results. As I was myself. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dankology said:

This couldn't have been worse timed for me - just yesterday I decided I was a Jazz-with-rounds convert and had decided to sell my flats-equipped PJ... 

I might just hold onto it until after next batch of recordings now.

Damn you, Basschat.

I like the feel of flats on a P bass but once I heard them recorded... oh goodness me. 

I have to admit that in a live band mix I think that flats can really work - I just can’t manage it myself though. Totally the wrong sound for my current venture, but I’ve been playing rounds for so long now flats played by me just sound wrong to me, pretty much like Stingrays, everyone else makes them sound great.

18 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Anyone got any experience of a PJ with flats, played through just the bridge pup? Wondering if it loses much of the bite? 

This was one of the reasons I moved to the Jazz w/rounds - we have one song that benefits from the odd pop here and there and the PJ with flats wasn't letting them cut through. Having said that, I like my flats quite well worn in so a newer set may well have been better.

Listening through last night's rehearsal recording, I now have the opposite problem: the pops sound horribly tinny and thin. There are likely some technique issues here...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dankology said:

This was one of the reasons I moved to the Jazz w/rounds - we have one song that benefits from the odd pop here and there and the PJ with flats wasn't letting them cut through. Having said that, I like my flats quite well worn in so a newer set may well have been better.

Listening through last night's rehearsal recording, I now have the opposite problem: the pops sound horribly tinny and thin. There are likely some technique issues here...

Not all flats are the same. Some are very dark and woolly and others very bright.

Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats are a pretty good compromise, the feel of flats and a sound that can be very bright but tweaked into standard flat territory if you want them to sound that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1