Why become a member? ×

What Do You Think, Band Opportunities

Bluewine

A lot of you guys like this little exercise. What do you think of the ad, is it written well, see any red flags, would you be interested? 

Here's four opportunities to critique.FB_IMG_1562272219413.thumb.jpg.e3ae46d036613da36d8f8a4584875898.jpg

1. Looking for some like-minded musicians to play in an original band, styled similar to 90s bands. I am hoping to form a band geared towards bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Jane's Addiction, but opened to expanding to more pop-rock such as REM, Everclear or Gin Blossoms. 

2. We are currently a three piece (drums, guitar, keyboards/guitar/vocals) “rock” band and we need a talented and committed person to help get us ready to play out. 

We’re in our fifties and experienced, and we practice at my house on the South side, have good equipment (PA, etc.) and gigs waiting for us. 

We play stuff from the 50s all the way through today including songs by the Beatles, Led Zep, Rival Sons, the Struts, Rolling Stones, Imagine Dragons, Elvis, ACDC, Van Halen, etc. 

We’re looking for someone that considers music to be more than a hobby, has good equipment, and is committed to rehearsing, and practicing as much as it takes – to be able to have our band ready to play out ASAP. 

My apologies if you answered my June ad – Summer and life got in the way of holding proper auditions. 
Thanks. 

3. Looking for a Bassist/back-up Vocalist to play in an EAGLES tribute band in the Milwaukee area, roughly 6 shows per year (Summer festivals).

4. We are a band from Wisconsin and we are looking for a new bassist. We are an original metal band and need someone who is dedicated. We are currently recording our second single (our first one is on out on most streaming platforms) after the single we will work on the rest of the album... We need someone who is 100% dedicated, were not looking for a fill-in but a full time member. We practice on Sundays and record on Wednesday. 
ages 18-30

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

I'll start.

All 4 ads get their message across. I get what the opportunity is about.

Opportunity 1 would not be for for me. The 90s thing would not be for me. I don't recognize the names of any of those bands.

Opportunity 2 seems like it will never get off the ground.

Opportunity 3. Might not be bad. Not many gigs but it would be an opportunity to sharpen my back ground vocal skills.

Opportunity 4 , it's metal not my genra.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

OK, I'll play!

#1 is not for me, not heard of any of the bands they reference. That almost certainly means I'm too old for them.

#2 I've heard of most of the bands, and could play that kinda stuff. If it was a money making band, I'd be interested. The 'life got in the way' line would put me off, though.

#3 Good clear ad, but I don't think that the Eagles would be that interesting for a bass player, certainly not enough to learn the material for only 6 gigs a year.

#4 I'd decided I was too old when I reached 'original metal band'. For the sake of the exercise, I read the rest, and the 18-30 age range, though quite generous (18 year olds think 30 year olds are way past it!) as a 61 year old, I'm obviously out of the picture.

Good exercise, Blue, this sort of thing helps people to focus on what they want and what they can actually do. Since joining the Dead tribute a year and a half ago, I've been very happy with my life. More gigs would be good, but those we do, are usually good ones and well attended. We get people travelling quite a long way to see us. It's always good to be appreciated.

• Thanks 1

I guess theres many ways of looking at the ad's dependent on what you're looking for. For me....

Op 1 - The genre's not for me. Originals band would only work if I had other means of putting food on the table.....

Op 2 - Conflicting messages....."we need someone who's as commited as us........but summer got in the way of us replying" As you say, probably won't get off the ground.

Op 3 - Sounds the most promising from bass / vocals standpoint. If you're good enough band then why restrict it to summer festivals only? Good Eagles tributes can get heaps of work.

Op 4 - Not my genre and not my age range 😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

OK, I'll play!

#1 is not for me, not heard of any of the bands they reference. That almost certainly means I'm too old for them.

#2 I've heard of most of the bands, and could play that kinda stuff. If it was a money making band, I'd be interested. The 'life got in the way' line would put me off, though.

#3 Good clear ad, but I don't think that the Eagles would be that interesting for a bass player, certainly not enough to learn the material for only 6 gigs a year.

#4 I'd decided I was too old when I reached 'original metal band'. For the sake of the exercise, I read the rest, and the 18-30 age range, though quite generous (18 year olds think 30 year olds are way past it!) as a 61 year old, I'm obviously out of the picture.

Good exercise, Blue, this sort of thing helps people to focus on what they want and what they can actually do. Since joining the Dead tribute a year and a half ago, I've been very happy with my life. More gigs would be good, but those we do, are usually good ones and well attended. We get people travelling quite a long way to see us. It's always good to be appreciated.

Excellent comments, they could have been mine. At 66 I feel the same way as you about most of the listed opportunities. The " life got in in the way" comment threw me off too. Who's to say life won't get in the way again, it usually does.

Good to hear things are going good for you. Sounds like your playing some good gigs. I hope your healthy and having fun.

What initially looked like a disastrous summer turned into my best gigging summer ever. The festival and fairs gave us better and shorter hours and more money. I was able to pay all my bills this summer including my mortgage with band money. I didn't have to touch my pension.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

I guess theres many ways of looking at the ad's dependent on what you're looking for. For me....

Op 1 - The genre's not for me. Originals band would only work if I had other means of putting food on the table.....

Op 2 - Conflicting messages....."we need someone who's as commited as us........but summer got in the way of us replying" As you say, probably won't get off the ground.

Op 3 - Sounds the most promising from bass / vocals standpoint. If you're good enough band then why restrict it to summer festivals only? Good Eagles tributes can get heaps of work.

Op 4 - Not my genre and not my age range 😂

Great comments Acebass.

Yeah, "we want someone as committed as us" Yeah,  so committed ,you didnt follow up on the initial ad you placed.

Opportunity 4, 18years old. No way, I remember being 18 that would not work at all.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Thanks, Blue, and good to hear that the summer has worked out for you as well.

This year has seen my first gigs abroad (I gigged in Finland, but was living there then so it doesn't count! We also headlined a festival where my favourite festival band was on before us - and the bass player (who was an influence on my playing when I was much younger) complimented my playing. My band has people following us around the world. I feel like I am finally doing something worthwhile!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Thanks, Blue, and good to hear that the summer has worked out for you as well.

This year has seen my first gigs abroad (I gigged in Finland, but was living there then so it doesn't count! We also headlined a festival where my favourite festival band was on before us - and the bass player (who was an influence on my playing when I was much younger) complimented my playing. My band has people following us around the world. I feel like I am finally doing something worthwhile!

That's really cool Dave.

Played to my largest crowd ever when we opened for The Charlie Daniels Band. When I was on stage and looked out at the crowd I also felt like all my hard work had paid off.

BlueIMG_4388.thumb.jpg.44cb8100ed62798e5fac54314be486ba.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

That's a good crowd. It's good to see that we can still fulfil our dreams at our age. Goes to show we should never give up.

Dave, hopefully were proof to the young bass players on BC that this bass playing stuff goes on for a long time.

Blue

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Really? does that mean taking up bass guitar is not as big of a thing as it was for our generation?

Blue

That's the impression I have, and it's not limited to bass, I think there are fewer young people interested in live music these days. I might be wrong and hope I am, but I think most young people are more interested in using computers to make music - and the current fad of solo singer/guitarists. I know several musicians under 30 who are actively recording, but have never played with other people. Times change.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

That's the impression I have, and it's not limited to bass, I think there are fewer young people interested in live music these days. I might be wrong and hope I am, but I think most young people are more interested in using computers to make music - and the current fad of solo singer/guitarists. I know several musicians under 30 who are actively recording, but have never played with other people. Times change.

I think to some degree it's also the platform. There are still plenty of young and keen bass players around, but young people don't really do old school forums like this. They get all they need from Facetwitgramtube. I've yet to see a photograph thread on here entitled "Look what I had for dinner".

(Heads of to start "look what I had for dinner" thread)

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

@Bluewine @FinnDave have you both honestly never heard of REM?

Janes Addiction were awesome and pretty big, but possibly a little more niche.

Nope, neither of them. I don't watch TV and don't listen to the radio, so I am not exposed to modern music except when in a pub or shop where music is played, but I have no idea what I am listening to. If I heard something I liked, I would make an effort to find out what it was, but can't remember the last time that happened. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1. Originals band. Great! Get your creativity hat on. That's what it's all about for me. I haven't heard of two of the bands they mention, but 90's pop / rock. I can get onboard with. 

2. Sounds OK, but the last "life got in the way" statement sets alarm bells ringing.

3. Eagles tribute band. I think I'd rather hang myself. 

4. Original metal band. Definitely up for that! 18-30.....Erm......nope!

I think I'd have to go with option 1.

1. The first ad is clearly for a startup originals band. There's not much information, but then I suppose that can be attributed to the fact that they don't really have much to tell at the moment. Would be helped if the author of the ad wrote a little bit about how long they've been playing, what previous band experience they've got, and what their goals are for the band. If they are aiming for world domination then I'd consider that to be a warning sign as they're possibly quite naive, deluded, and liable to be enormously disappointed.
  2. Second ad is fine until you get to the last paragraph - if I replied to this ad, I'd do it with the mindset that this person is disorganised and often fails to meet their commitments. I'd be keeping my eyes peeled for evidence of this being a trend, rather than a one-off incident.
  3. Considering that this is such a short ad, it's actually got a surprisingly decent density of information. I suppose the only vagueness is: is this a startup band that's intending to play 6 shows per year, or an established band that has played 6 shows per year in the past?
  4. Decent ad, though it gives the impression that this is just a recording project - I think they could have done with clarifying their intentions vis a vis gigging. Phrases like "100% dedicated" and "full-time member" hint that they want someone who will prioritise this band over their job and family, which may or may not have been their intention.

That's my assessment of the ads. As far as the underlying opportunities are concerned, I don't think I'd reply to any of them. I'm not interested by the music that any of them play, I'm not interested in bands that expect "100% commitment" nor a mere 6 gigs per year, and Milwaukee and Wisconsin are too far away for me to travel to for rehearsals.

S.P.

• Like 1

for me:

1.  Like it.  I prefer playing originals to covers, Janes Addiction is very much my sort of thing, and I quite like Everclear (less so REM, but I'm OK with that, especially as it's on their "if we really have to..." list).  I assume that the band would be my age range.  Light on the detail that I would want to understand before arranging an audition (ambitions, logistics, etc) but worth a follow up and probably an audition/jam

2.  Nope.  The ad is basically saying "we'll play literally anything" - I want a bit more direction than that, and wouldn't want to end up playing a lot of music that I have no interest in.  Van Halen and Elvis and the Beatles and AC/DC?  Funnily enough I was discussing this point about someone else just yesterday - a BL who's apparently eclectic choice of songs for his covers band was simply a demonstration that he wanted the band to play all of his favourite songs (and only his favourites, not the rest of the band's) and which left the audience less than engaged because it was so random.  As others have flagged, the "commitment" doesn't square with "life got in the way if I never got back to you last time" either.  Not for me.

3.  Good clear ad.  Again, not for me, but only because I'm not especially an Eagles fan.  If I was then a six gigs a year band would be OK - unlikely to stop me doing other stuff, so I'd reply and ask for more info.

4.  Brilliant ad.  Exactly what an 18 year old needs to hear, that being in a band is all about dedication, writing music and getting it released, all urgency and excitement.  And very clear about how much of the week they expect you to devote to the band.  No mention of playing live or touring though, and I wonder why it's so focused on getting songs on to a streaming platform, but that's probably something that 18 years olds understand far better than me.  I fall way outside their age range, but if I didn't I think I'd be asking for some links and seeing if I liked what they were doing (and to make sure that it wasn't a Threatin' type situation)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Nope, neither of them. I don't watch TV and don't listen to the radio, so I am not exposed to modern music except when in a pub or shop where music is played, but I have no idea what I am listening to.

REM modern music? They formed closer to the end of the second world war than the current day!

For me,

1) Yeh, why not, not necessarily my thing, but I am sure it is fun.

2) If life got in the way now it will get in the way again. Life is like that. Plus if he got contacted in june why not contact those people back? But if I wasn't doing anything I would probably contact them, as if they don't bother replying I haven't lost anything.

3) Hell no. Learning the eagles to play every 2 months? Sounds like a practice only group with the occasional grudging gig.

4) Too old for that but back in the day, would have probably given it a go.

• Like 1