Why become a member? ×

NAD - Trace Elliot GP12 SMX 250

ahpook

I'm not sure that a dry/open solder joint would contribute to noise? I have read accounts on here before about aSMX heads with hum and noise issues. It may be a design issue. Someone posted that changing the orientation of the transformer helped reduce hum (but that could be building location specific). Noise or hiss might be down to ageing components just drifting out of spec with age? I'm sure that at playing volume it makes no difference. Earlier versions did have a noise reduction switch but I guess with all the new features on the SMX something had to give?

Edited by Sparky Mark

39 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I'm not sure that a dry/open solder joint would contribute to noise? I have read accounts on here before about aSMX heads with hum and noise issues. It may be a design issue. Someone posted that changing the orientation of the transformer helped reduce hum (but that could be building location specific). Noise or hiss might be down to ageing components just drifting out of spec with age? I'm sure that at playing volume it makes no difference. Earlier versions did have a noise reduction switch but I guess with all the new features on the SMX something had to give?

I had a chat with our own @Stub Mandrel about the background noise and he thought the same....I think I'll abide by your guidance ! I think I'm just trying to be over thorough...

The background noise doesn't increase in volume when the amp is turned up, so yes...no problem at volume, but it does bug me a bit when it's quiet in the studio/spare room.  I think I'm becoming too quiet-obsessed.

Too long working in a library, perhaps :)

The fact that the noise stays at the same level indicates it's the noise floor of the amp. By including the noise reduction switch on earlier models Trace Elliot acknowledged noise was a factor at low volume or in studios. This is also why setting the input gain as high as possible using the three LED system is important to maximise the signal to noise ratio. What you need is a totally silent (relatively) AH200 GP11 Mk5 head! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ahpook said:

I gave all the boards a good flexing 

I would recommend NEVER flexing printed circuit boards, especially relatively old ones, as you can crack the copper tracks and damage previously good solder joints and/or components. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Thanks 2