Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for Finding a Good Frontman Please

thebrig

I currently play in a band that plays Dr Feelgood material, we don't go out as a tribute band, but we do nail the sound and our frontman is Lee to a tee!

Unfortunately for us, although good for him , he has met a woman and is moving about 250 miles away, he has agreed to do a few gigs every now and then with us and is prepared to travel, for them.

Because we will only gig around six times a year, I am putting a new band together with the drummer and a guitarist from one of my previous bands, we are all experienced musician's with a ton of songs we all know well and could be up and running almost immediately, but despite having ads on Join My Band and BandMix etc for a few months now, we are having no joy at all, so how do you guys go about finding a good frontman? 

Firstly look out for anyone you know who's got a larger than life personality and is maybe a bit of a showoff. Whether he can sing that well is of secondary importance. I'm not being facetious. There are many bands out there with good enough singers but  few who are larger than life showmen/women who can command a stage

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Firstly look out for anyone you know who's got a larger than life personality and is maybe a bit of a showoff. Whether he can sing that well is of secondary importance. I'm not being facetious. There are many bands out there with good enough singers but  few who are larger than life showmen/women who can command a stage

You are so right, the frontman in our "Feelgood" band definitely has a larger than life personality, whenever people start videoing us on their phones, he closes in on them and sings straight into the lens, he wanders around with his wireless mic, sometimes goes behind the bar or even out in the street.

Here's an example:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, thebigyin said:

This would be my dream always wanted to front a Dr.Feelgood covers band, I currently front a Blues/Rock covers band and the only Feelgood number we do is Down at the Doctors...good luck.

Can you not relocate down Shropshire? it's a beautiful part of the world 😉

22 hours ago, Sibob said:

Open it up to looking for a ‘front person’ and you’ll double your chances :)

Si

I usually state in the ads that we don't mind whether the person is male or female, just so long as they suit our music 😊

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 13:54, scalpy said:

Go and see which local band has a good front person. Steal them.

this, all day long.

gone are the days when musicians would be in only one band and joining another was like cheating on your girlfriend.  It's not "stealing" it's "networking" and most people I know who are any good are in two or three, albeit that some of those bands are busier than others

Maybe do a bit of homework first though - if they're in an excellent band that plays three times a week you may have trouble tempting them to join yours...if they're in an excellent band that plays once a month, or a rubbish band that rarely plays, you may have a better chance

• Like 2

On 20/08/2019 at 16:40, thebrig said:

You are so right, the frontman in our "Feelgood" band definitely has a larger than life personality, whenever people start videoing us on their phones, he closes in on them and sings straight into the lens, he wanders around with his wireless mic, sometimes goes behind the bar or even out in the street.

Here's an example:

Excellent....deffo got the swagger sounds great all of you.

14 hours ago, thebigyin said:

Excellent....deffo got the swagger sounds great all of you.

Thanks for the kind words, we certainly don't claim to be great musicians but we all definitely love what we are doing, and we have so much fun when we do the occasional gig. 😊

• Like 1