Why become a member? ×

Of all things bass related, what are you most proud of?

Cestrian

On 19/08/2019 at 23:07, Stub Mandrel said:

Jamming with the guitarist from Impaler (gebuine signed band who had just put out their LP, guess the genre)and afterwards him telling the band I was a 'def' bassist. Probably had more to do with my HM2 pedal and sheer volume than any talent... 🙂

When he said you were "a 'def' bassist", are you sure you're reproducing the spelling of that accurately?

*runs*

• Haha 1

When I began playing bass in our church band last year, after about a 12 year lay-off, I received a great compliment.  I will be 69 in October so when an attractive 17 year old girl came up and called me a "Super Cool Bass Man" I don't think that will be topped!

• Like 2

After years of trying, finally being satisfied with just one bass to get all the tones I want. (Having a Helix Stomp helps massively)  

And to go with it, not succumbing to buying some beauties in the year I’ve owned it. Take that GAS 😗🖕

Edited by Chiliwailer

Couple of thing for me.

Band I was in around 2012-14 recorded an EP with the late Bernie Torme. Of all the recordings I've done, it's by far my favourite. It was just one of those magic days - drums sounded fantastic (always my normal complaint, people can't record drums anymore), my bass tone was right on....we did it live in the studio, warts and all. Bernie was awesome (next band I was in recorded with him as well), and the 4 tracks are something I'll always treasure.

Pity nobody bought it......! ☹️

Other one was playing a festival gig to around 4,000. My biggest audience ever - wasn't my band, I was depping.....but what a confidence boost to play it, and maintain that feeling of 'I'm actually getting away with this!' 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeftyP said:

When I began playing bass in our church band last year, after about a 12 year lay-off, I received a great compliment.  I will be 69 in October so when an attractive 17 year old girl came up and called me a "Super Cool Bass Man" I don't think that will be topped!

Sounds like there's a newspaper headline  in there.. " 69 Year Old 'Super Cool Bass Man' Actually Noticed by Attractive 17 Year Old Girl!"

Few yrs ago i was in a "friends" of Deep Purple tribute band covering anything that was related to DP incl Whitesnake, Rainbow, Sabbath etc. Band were forever arguing usually guitarist and keys player and i decided i'd had enough and left. The band went thru about 5 or 6 bass players in 6-9mths and eventually persuaded me to come back.

When i played with them at the next rehearsal the guitarist made a comment halfway thru that has stuck with me.

"that's what Dave brings to the band" 

What he meant was the drive commitment and energy to play the songs. I was quite chuffed with that.

Many many yrs ago while trying a bass out in our local music store a couple of guys came over and said they "wished they could get a bass player like me"  

Both those comments were about 30yrs apart so i guess i still have it. :lol:

My current band recently told me in a roundabout conversation that bass players of my calibre are hard to find but maybe they were just smoth talking me. Either way i'm taking every compliment i can get. :laugh1:

Dave

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

i guess i still have it. :lol:

I suppose a high point for me was being in PMT trying out acoustic bass and beings ask 'do you want to try it plugged in' and then 'do you want to try another one' - I assume I wasn't scaring away customers! Maybe it was just because I wasn't slapping...

• Haha 1

I was trying an Ibanez out in a shop, running through a few riffs some years back and was playing the line to Good Times, when a woman who was browsing said to me, “I like your groove,” I was quite taken aback.

Although not bass related I was once taking photos of a telegraph pole when a gentleman walked up to me, he stopped and watched as I took a pic, “I can see you are a man of interests” he noted and continued his walk. I rather liked that.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Although not bass related I was once taking photos of a telegraph pole when a gentleman walked up, to me, he stopped and watched as I took pic, “I can see you are a man of interests” he noted and continued his walk. I rather liked that.

... or an OpenReach engineer...

• Haha 2

After playing at the Echoplex in LA, learning that Josh Gabriel (of EDM act Gabriel & Dresden) had come to see us and later remarked to our guitarist that we had a super tight rhythm section - coming from someone whose rhythm section is defined by an electronic clock and considering we gig without a click, that is a complement to be proud of. I think.

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:10, dmccombe7 said:

Both those comments were about 30yrs apart so i guess i still have it. :lol:

My current band recently told me in a roundabout conversation that bass players of my calibre are hard to find but maybe they were just smoth talking me. Either way i'm taking every compliment i can get. :laugh1:

Dave

oh dear ,,,,,from the urban dictionary    😁

A slow, ugly, rusty bullethole, doofus who is an absolute moron, thinks they’re above everyone, is extremely sensitive, doesn’t listen to a word anyone says, and is extremely disliked

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, nikon F said:

oh dear ,,,,,from the urban dictionary    😁

A slow, ugly, rusty bullethole, doofus who is an absolute moron, thinks they’re above everyone, is extremely sensitive, doesn’t listen to a word anyone says, and is extremely disliked

Brilliant. Good to know someone was reading my post :laugh1:

My laptop has some issues with double letters for some reason. Its probably getting old like me. 

However that description does seem appropriate in a weird kinda way. :tatice_03:

Dave

11 minutes ago, Painy said:

That after meeting at a gig and having watched my band play all night, this beautiful young lady then actualy agreed to go out for the rest of the evening with me - and eventually to marry me. 😊

037.jpg

Wonderful story. Glad you left that to post 42 'cos if that had been the first reply we would have seriously needed to think about closing the thread - gonna be very hard to top that! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

Discovering bass was a passion later in life but being too old / inexperienced to ever have a hope of getting through an audition, I took the leap of forming a band. That was 5 years ago and we're now playing weddings as well as pubs. 

Loving the fact that I've managed to keep up with a talented bunch of musicians; that all of the existing line-up have been together for over 3 years now and that bass is still my passion! 

• Like 2

On 2 occasions after recent gigs, other members of the band have had audience members come up to them and say that I'm a brilliant bass player. 

I don't agree. I'm extraordinarily average at best. (Not false modesty but an honest assessment of my skills, or lack thereof) I think it's probably more to do with my sound, which I'm extremely happy with and sits in the band mix beautifully. But still. I'm happy to at least be keeping up with the rest of the band, and I find for a bassist to be singled out as being "good" in a band context, especially from none musicians is quite rare. So I was pretty chuffed. 

But I would have to say, on balance, my absolute proudest moment would probably have to be this...

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

2 hours ago, Stofferson said:

Thar she blows!

Cheers! Is that a Warwick thumb doing the honours? Been a while since I've been into anything quite that heavy (drummer in my covers band real passion is death metal, which I'll have to 'fess has never been for me) but I thought that was just great!

Must have been awesome playing in front of such a large crowd; and I love the fact that you pull off such a big sound as a three piece and are so tight!

Edited by Al Krow