Why become a member? ×

Of all things bass related, what are you most proud of?

Cestrian

Quite a few years ago I used to play in a rock covers  band (think loads of Van Halen and a few daft stuff done in the same style) who played pubs, but also a load of motorcycle rallies. 

We did one in Scarborough and got there early on the Friday (we were the headline on the Saturday) and got talking to a group of lads who said that their mate had decided not to come but would be disappointed to miss us as we were his favourite band on the circuit. Apparently they rang him on Saturday morning and told him we were playing. He immediately packed a bag, put his tent on the back of his bike and rode about four hours just to come and see us.

We had a bit of a beer rider backstage, which we ended up sharing with him as we were amazed that he would drop everything and ride that far just to see a cover band. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 4

There's a drummer I went to school with, not a "name" or anything but in my eyes a world class player. I would never miss an opportunity to play with him. I'm most proud of the fact that he actually wants to jam with me on bass! We had 4 hours yesterday and after the first hour he really started to let loose. I was grinning so hard my face hurt

Hearing both Benji Webb and Paul Di’Anno take to the stage with their respective bands at the time (Dub War and Killers) after we had supported them say something like “F***ing hell I thought we were heavy, what about that lot”. Then subsequently seeing both gentlemen weeks later (Benji with Dub War at a European Festival and Paul D in a Walthamstow chippie) wearing my band’s beanie hats, I was stupidly chuffed.

• Like 4

Probably that to date I’ve never had a drummer say they can’t work with me. Of course I’m proud of the material I’ve contributed to writing and of the reviews we’ve had for both that material and live performances but you have to be able to gel with the drummer first and foremost. Am particularly proud of the fact that the best drummer I ever played with said that my bass playing made his job easier.

• Like 1

Hard to pick an ultimate moment but one right up there of my proudest bass moments was when I recorded my band's version of  "I shot the Sheriff" for our album. It was a one take live recording at a concert we did and only my take on the bass ended up on the finished album, everyone else re-dubbed their parts in the studio. Then the icing came on the cake when the producer showed me a letter from Marley's publishers stating how they loved the bass on the track! As this was my first ever reggae track playing bass on a commercial album and Aston Barrett was my inspiration for taking up music it meant a heck of a lot to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Earlier this year my acdc band played support to Brian Downey`s Lizzy band and one of his (I think it was Brian Grace) crazily talented guitarist watched the whole set from the side and complemented on how good our rhythm section was. That was nice as it`s usually the singer and lead guitarist who get all the glory. 

• Like 1

Many years ago whilst recording an original demo myself and the guitarist were playing along for the drummer whilst he was getting recorded. The engineer also recorded me, which I was unaware of. I made a small mistake and shrugged it off with the guitarist as it didn't put the drummer off and we knew only the drums were getting recorded. Back in the control room the engineer was blown away by the  rhythm section and proudly played the drum and bass tracks back to us. The consensus was my mistake was fairly minor and could possibly be left. I was having none of it and told then I'll play the whole song again which I nailed perfectly. They were even more impressed. 

Some years later the guitarist was teaching guitar and taught the song to a student. He dabbled at bass quite well and also tried to teach my baseline to the students bassist.  He admitted my baseline was quite a handful for both.

Through playing the instrument I have made some amazing friends, toured all over the UK & Europe, played on records, done session work & played some iconic venues. All of which has been offset with failed relationships & not being as well off or high up the career ladder as I could be. So on balance I'm proud I have no regrets 😹

• Like 4

People often tell me at auditions and practices that they're impressed I always do all my homework, learn all the material, bring new ideas.

It does make me wonder what other bass players do as it seems the very least you should do is it be prepared and bring your own ideas to the party...

Being told I made my band better by other band members and regular punters. I like the band I joined but feel we have grown over three and a half years. I'm allowed to play in my style, meaning I can embellish bass lines as much as I want to, and the guitarists give me the right space. We are a perfect fit for each other. The last bassist wasn't bad, he has his style and I have mine, though I think his heart is not fully in the kind of the music the band does whereas for me it's more suited.