Why become a member? ×

Practicing at home with Headphones - kit to connect to computer audio - help needed!

Pirellithecat

Hi,

I'd like to be able to use computer audio - eg Ultimate Guitar Tabs, and my ripped music, to play along with using headphones - basically in my "music room"  with less risk of annoying the Mrs!

I have the Vox Bass powered headphones, but I don't get along with them for some reason and I find that the audio out from the PC generates a fair bit of "noise".

I've tried using my practice amp as "host", but it's not ideal as the headphone output is rather low for non powered headphones and the PC noise is still an issue. 

So, what do I need - is it a little mixer/DAC/Headphone amp?   

Something like the Sub Zero Mix 04 seems to do some of what I want   https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-SZ-MIX04-4-Channel-Mini-Mixer/SIZ SZMix 04, but not all.  

So, can anyone recommend anything that might do the trick?   (simpler the better!)

Many thanks

Ian

I would suggest something like this for that sort of price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UMC22-Computer-Audio-Interface/dp/B00FFIGZF6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=DVMQVIY9H5WD&keywords=behringer+audio+interface&qid=1566140363&s=gateway&sprefix=beer%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-4

Of if you are prepared to throw more at it, the new Scarlett 2i2 or 4i4 will do the trick

• Like 1

Please bear with me ..........

To demonstrate that I find instructions difficult to understand unless they are really specific .......... ,the Scarlett would accept, via USB, digital output from the PC and convert it to Analog and allow one to listen to it via Headphones.   At the same time it would accept the signal from my bass via 1/4 inch Jack and overlay this on the analog "stream" from the PC to which I will be listening on headphones?   And there's a "headphone amp" somewhere in the chain so that the volume of the headphones can be increased? 

And the Behringer UMC22 achieves the same?

Just to be sure ...

Thanks,  Luddite-Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pirellithecat said:

Please bear with me ..........

To demonstrate that I find instructions difficult to understand unless they are really specific .......... ,the Scarlett would accept, via USB, digital output from the PC and convert it to Analog and allow one to listen to it via Headphones.   At the same time it would accept the signal from my bass via 1/4 inch Jack and overlay this on the analog "stream" from the PC to which I will be listening on headphones?   And there's a "headphone amp" somewhere in the chain so that the volume of the headphones can be increased? 

And the Behringer UMC22 achieves the same?

Just to be sure ...

Thanks,  Luddite-Ian

Yes to all of those questions.

8 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I take it this can play MP3s over the USB connection?

I'm looking for something so replace my ailing Xenyx 302USB which was great until my cat jumped on my desk and knocked a drink over it.

Absolutely. It's a fantastic little thing. It was the only small format mixer I could find with proper XLR outs for the odd times it actually leaves my desk.

IMG_20190820_185021.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Absolutely. It's a fantastic little thing. It was the only small format mixer I could find with proper XLR outs for the odd times it actually leaves my desk.

IMG_20190820_185021.jpg

Nice one thanks, that's my birthday present request sorted! Had a small glass of nice cider and our cat jumped on the glass table, slipped and knocked it over the little Behringer, had to take it apart and clean it with alcohol at 2am so wasn't best pleased and it hasn't worked properly since. Can't do without a mixer for learning songs so it's a long overdue purchase.

Love the nano tank btw, what's in there and is it all bio? I have a bare 22l upstairs waiting to be set up.

40 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Love the nano tank btw, what's in there and is it all bio? I have a bare 22l upstairs waiting to be set up.

Thanks man! Yeah it's a 22l cube with a betta and 5 amano shrimp. If you look directly left from where the usb cable plugs into the mixer you can see him lying on the plants.

betta.jpg

• Like 1