Why become a member? ×

NBD seen before Classic Vibe Precision Bass® '50s

Aidan63

I picked this up on Monday after a nice drive there and back over Snowdonia, it used to be @Beedster's https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/262287-fs-squier-classic-vibe-50s-precision-sd-pup-us-circuit-sold/?tab=comments#comment-2776167, as we know Chris has great taste in basses, especially Ps

Previous owner hadn't used it a lot in the intervening period, hadn't cleaned it much if at all and I'm pretty certain it was wearing the same set of D'Addario strings that it had when sold last

I spent a bit of time yesterday and this morning giving it a thorough clean and spot levelling the 8th fret which was causing a buzz on the A and D strings and set it up with a fresh set of flatwound Maruszczyk strings and wow, it is lovely, the neck adjusted to really flat and action to 2mm and the response across the strings is very even and the tone is just what I've been looking for, that sound that was in my head, that I'd been approaching with '57 on P style basses but not actually quite getting. I'm genuinely surprised at how good it is, even more surprised that none of the 22 who were watching it bid for it, I guess for once being in Wales counted in my favour, usually the nice basses are a long drive away and collection only, or overpriced or deeply flawed if delivery is included. The blue one that was listed and finished this week sold for a good bit more, though maybe had a better pickup in it, but this Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder is good.

It's really pretty without the scratchplate (included but no need to fit for me), 4 piece body really well done, I believe it is pine, anyway it is really nicely balanced, comfortable with the '54 contoured body, and the neck is just what you'd like from a P, 42mm nut and chunky enough, maybe not the fattest of the possible Fender profiles, single piece Maple with real rear fitted truss rod, and maybe there is something to be said for the tele shaped headstock in weight reduction which helps the balance

Bit of a punt with Ebay, 3 hour round trip but quiet Welsh roads and the sun was shining, and a bit of work to make it nice but very definitely worth it 😀

WP_20190818_001.jpg

• Like 8

I think these came with white pickguards which looked great against the blonde finish. (I do have a thing for tortoiseshell guards against pale finishes but I guess that's not one of the original combinations?)

I've never seen one with such a wonderful grain pattern though - that's absolutely splendid!

• Like 1