Why become a member? ×

Westone 1A 1984 (Matsumoku Japan) Fretted -- pickup/pre-amp upgrade recommendations

RichP-exRWC

My first bass isnt sounding so great and I think needs a little tone assistance. Any recommendations on:

- an upgrade to the P-style pickups?

- an upgrade to the active electronics?

- since this is the most crazy solid neck I've ever seen, I'm contemplating converting to fretless. Maybe I should just sell it and buy a fretless version instead for less messing, less project, and more time playing instead of heating frets, filling, sanding, etc...?

cheers

Rich P

If it's a Thunder 1A, they are quite desirable, so selling it and getting something that is more what you want from the off would be a better option than modifying. As far as I'm aware, the original pickups were Di Marzios (if they're the cream coloured ones), so they are pretty decent. Modifying is an expensive route. By the time you you've bought pickups, active electronics, paid to have the frets pulled, etc, you will probably have spent about it would cost you to buy something more to your liking. And you never get back the money you spend on modifications - sometimes, they can even lower the price you can sell for.

Again, IMO, you are probably best to leave the Thunder 1A alone, and either sell it, or buy a fretless (or both?).

I wouldn't say that Thunder 1A's were "desirable", but they appeal to those of us of a certain age, who recall the Thunder range as either their first "proper" bass, or remember loads of people using them at the time. I had one, and it was probably up there as one of the best basses I've ever had (even though it weighed a ton! :D ).

Cheap or mid-price instruments are so much better these days, so it may be cheaper in the long run to buy a reasonably priced fretless, and upgrade that, than to "modify" a classic.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...