Why become a member? ×

Moog sub phatty vs Deepmind 6

obi 2 kenobi

One could approach this from different angles, I think.

First: IMHO there's a huge difference between asking for a bass part played on a synth, and asking for all the known synthbass sounds for covering hit songs.

One train of thought would be that in order to make synthbass sounds, one needs a capable synth with at least two full-fledged VCOs and a good filter - preferaby 24 dB/oct. 
There's something to be said for that. If you're gonna cover known synthbass songs, you're looking at lotsa tracks that rely heavily on a Moog sound. In case, opting for a Phatty or Model D seems the natural thing to do. That does not exclude other synths, but in case it could be a longer, more winding road.

There's another train of thought that says that any synth is usable for bass parts.
I could agree - partly. I've happened upon a great, natural bass sound on a weedy 1 VCO synth with just an added pedal (don't remember, but probably a chorus type thing).
In my mind it can be done, but on many synths one is looking at a narrower band of usable bass sounds.
The DM6 specifically, whilst flexible and a great offering for the price, would be one of the last synths I'd think of for synthbass. That's due to its Juno inheritance and its 1.5 VCO instead of 2, and its presumed 12 dB/Oct filter. To my ears, the core sound of the DM6 is weedy, and one needs both programming skills (or good copied/bought patches) and effects. But yes, it can absolutely be done.

Depending on your exact needs, I'd also think of a poly like the Akai Miniak AKA Alesis Micron. It's a powerhouse of a virtual analogue, and already in its presets it shows a whole world of sounds that basically is a walk through the history of analogue synths. With its 3 full oscillators as well as its vast amount of parameters, it's a machine that will do everything for you at a great price. This comes with its own drawback though: the tiny display is a nuisance, there are few knobs and buttons, and as a result programming the machine is hard - especially for beginners.
I'd rather program it from an iPad or computer. Sound design software for these is available from different sources - both for IOS and Windows.

Edited by BassTractor

2 hours ago, xgsjx said:

What BassTractor is trying to say is "Get a Moog".

😁Not really, but maybe indeed.
Initially I'd say: try and make a prioritised list of the things you would like to be able to do with it, and then check with people in the know what is possible. I'm aware that people new to synthesis will have Great Expectations.

I'm really trying to say "Get a Miniak", but as the word "Moog" has a better sound to most, I expect that advice to go largely unnoticed. Fact remains that in many a setting, one would hardly notice the difference between a real Model D and a Miniak, even though the depth and rawness of the real deal has never been equalled, and certainly not by a virtual analogue. Then, the Miniak is polyphonic and can do nearly everything we know from the realm of analogue subtractive synthesis, and it will do stuff beyond that as well.

If the OP wants to go Model D, then the Behringer Model D will do it all, with the drawback of a cramped panel.
Great price though, at one tenth of a Moog Model D.

Somehow I doubt the OP will be back, but in reply to the question

On 17/08/2019 at 19:05, obi 2 kenobi said:

Could it be a cheap solution covering synth bass and much more. 

I tried to state: it is a cheap solution that might cover some synth bass, and it will indeed do much more (it's good for pads for example), but don't expect it to do everything bass.
BTW, the natural bass sound I once made was on a simple Korg MS-10 with equally weedy filter on one single VCO. Then, I was lucky.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

I'm just going to put this out there:

Bear in mind that the Deepmind synths are based on the Roland Juno series that very few people bought out of choice when they were originally available. They were bought because we couldn't afford the synths we really wanted - Jupiter 8, OBXa, Prophet 5 etc.

I'll leave you to your own conclusions (and the fact that the only real way you'll find out what is best for you is to try them all).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I'm just going to put this out there:

Bear in mind that the Deepmind synths are based on the Roland Juno series that very few people bought out of choice when they were originally available. They were bought because we couldn't afford the synths we really wanted - Jupiter 8, OBXa, Prophet 5 etc.

I'll leave you to your own conclusions (and the fact that the only real way you'll find out what is best for you is to try them all).

Fair enough, and I've expressed a similar view regarding its core sound, but at this point I think we should also mention that the DM6 has a modulation matrix that far exceeds anything any Juno ever spawned. 

19 sources can modulate a whopping 120 destinations, even the built-in effects, making this an incredibly flexible synth within its core limitations and its price bracket. The only problem I have with this matrix is that the OP is not likely to be well-versed in synthesis (why else posting the question at all), and therefore would have a hard time extruding the power of the synth.
The Moogs (and Behringer's D) are a lot straighter in this regard, offering a beast of a core sound from the off.