Why become a member? ×

Precision pickups: compare Fender Original vs CS62

mcnach

I’ve had both, whereas the CS62 is deep, warm and rich sounding, although not boomy, think it’s more low-mid biased, the Original is “woodier” and has an upper mid-bias to my ears. If putting them to eras I think they’re pretty well described by the names, the Original makes you think more of the rock n roll sounds of the 50s, the CS more of Motown.

• Haha 1

As Lozz says, the Fender "Original" series of pickups have a definite mid "push" that I found pretty unpleasant to my ears. 

I've been using Fender "Pure Vintage" Jazz and P-Bass pickups for my recent basses, and they sound fantastic. I've also used the Custom Shop units, which are really nice also. 

IMG_20190813_195454.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve had both, whereas the CS62 is deep, warm and rich sounding, although not boomy, think it’s more low-mid biased, the Original is “woodier” and has an upper mid-bias to my ears. If putting them to eras I think they’re pretty well described by the names, the Original makes you think more of the rock n roll sounds of the 50s, the CS more of Motown.

Thank you!

Your description makes it sound very attractive. I have the Original on my Precision and it's got plenty of upper mids while I'd wish it were more low-mid prominent... I think the CS62 might be something I should try.