Why become a member? ×

Who puts on music pre/break/post band sets?

Maude

17 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

*Old duffer mode on*

I’m surprised that this seems to be a new concept to some people. Over the years, pretty much every pub band I’ve been in does this..?

You're hardly the only Old Duffer, Michael. Most of the bands I play with are comprised of nothing else ... and without exception they're astonished that (i) Silvia and I want to play music before/between sets, and (ii) that we actually have the capability to do this, and do it well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

We do - the singer's iPhone on shuffle play. I keep suggesting that he removes the songs that we play from it, but he never does.

No you don't want to be playing the originals of the songs you're going play later. 

• Like 1

On 18/08/2019 at 06:45, thebigyin said:

Nah leave the juke box on....folks have put money in, nothing more annoying than a band coming in and setting up and having to listen to there crap choice of music...unless it's some decent classic 70s rock.

I can understand the jukebox thing but if you don't expect the crowd to like your music choice what hope have you got when you start playing? 

• Like 2

for an old school punk covers band of mine, mostly playing pubs, we quickly learned that bringing our own tunes to be played through our PA was infinitely preferable than letting the "helpful" landlord play his CD of the well known old punk songs that made up most of our set

We ended up with three CDs.  the first two (before the first set and for the break between sets) were punk/metal bands playing covers of well known pop songs - Snuff were particularly good for this - to get everybody in the right mood

The third CD was much harder, noisier stuff.  Basically a "thanks for coming, now f#ck off" message to the crowd that the sing-a-long punk covers have finished and it's time to go home.  Worked a treat, bit like the lights coming on at the end of a gig

• Like 3

Yep, we do it. 80s band, so we have an 80s playlist on the drummer's mp3 player that we play through the PA during the break and at the end. It's especially useful at the end of the night if the audience are baying for more encores and we want to give them a firm "no". Obviously we make sure that the playlist doesn't contain any songs that we are performing that night.

S.P.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

It's especially useful at the end of the night if the audience are baying for more encores and we want to give them a firm "no". 

This is another benefit, they soon forget the shouts of "one more" and have a little boogie. 

On 17/08/2019 at 18:42, Maude said:

Much as @Silvia Bluejay, I have no idea. I've never been asked for a list for PRS in all the time I've been gigging. It does seem to be a free for all. 

I think the PRS use a system based on a sample of venues that ensures the vast majority of royalties go to 'popular' artists.

BTW you should be covered by the venue's licence.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think the PRS use a system based on a sample of venues that ensures the vast majority of royalties go to 'popular' artists.

BTW you should be covered by the venue's licence.

The only time I remember being asked to complete PRS forms was about 25-30 years ago at the Rock Garden.  Or more correctly, being told that the venue really didn't want to have to complete the PRS forms so we had been booked on the basis that we were playing our originals and there were to be no covers.  Or if there were we should limit it to just the one and not tell the venue beforehand that we're going to play it. So, lads, you're officially not playing any covers are you?

On 19/08/2019 at 06:55, Maude said:

I can understand the jukebox thing but if you don't expect the crowd to like your music choice what hope have you got when you start playing? 

Hi Maude,
Usually if we play locally or just out of town the punters know what to expect...posters ect with the bands you cover but know were your coming from....not saying our way works we have had our fair share of good and bad gigs....we don't do the run of the mill stuff to be honest, has we're all late 50s to mid 60s it's a tad self indulgent these days playing stuff we want....those who know there music love something different but the usual whizzed up punters who wouldn't know a good tune if it was sat on there face brigade don't get it...but we stick to our guns and have a decent following.

• Like 1

I don’t think we’ve ever played a venue (pub, party, festival) that hasn’t had its own music playing, wherever it’s a bar staff Spotify playlist, jukebox, whatever; it just gets turned off when we start, and turned back on again when we’ve finished.

We do unless the venue specifically requests us not to.

We're an 80s covers band too so the playlist reflects this. It helps set the mood.

I also use it to sneak in tunes we're thinking of adding to the set so I can see how they go down.

Edited by colleya
  • Like 4

We do whatever the contract stipulates. We're a function band so it depends whether the client wants us to. I joined my current band in January and it still amazes me that my band mates just stand on stage gawping at their phones before, between and after sets. Looks terrible if you ask me. We are booked solid for good money but I think this really lets us down.

Edited by mrtcat
  • Like 3

I do. At every gig. It stops venues playing whatever tripe that doesn't go with what we do.

Also... I used to be in a band with a really OCD guy who was so set on playing the very same worn-out playlist of 80's clunge every night, that when I asked for a turn, he asked me "if I wanted to take it outside". Relationships in that band got so bad that I used to sit in the car until it was time to play. Every time I play my stuff now, it takes the edge off the fact that i never kicked his teeth down his throat.

On 21/08/2019 at 14:40, BrunoBass said:

I don’t think we’ve ever played a venue (pub, party, festival) that hasn’t had its own music playing, wherever it’s a bar staff Spotify playlist, jukebox, whatever; it just gets turned off when we start, and turned back on again when we’ve finished.

Well, wouldn’t you know it. We had an email today from someone we’re doing a wedding for next month, asking if we can supply music before, between and after our set. We’d already agreed a price, they’ve paid a deposit, but it was for 2 x 45 minute sets, nothing more. Now it’s no skin off my nose to whack on a Spotify playlist and call it quits, but curating a playlist based on their tastes (which is what they want) plus hanging around for three hours after we’ve finished wasn't in the script. We’ve offered them a revised quote, and await their response! 

2 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Well, wouldn’t you know it. We had an email today from someone we’re doing a wedding for next month, asking if we can supply music before, between and after our set. We’d already agreed a price, they’ve paid a deposit, but it was for 2 x 45 minute sets, nothing more. Now it’s no skin off my nose to whack on a Spotify playlist and call it quits, but curating a playlist based on their tastes (which is what they want) plus hanging around for three hours after we’ve finished wasn't in the script. We’ve offered them a revised quote, and await their response! 

remind them what a DJ costs...

• Like 1