Why become a member? ×

Woodstock 50 years on

KiOgon

Saw the documentry on BBC4 last night, well woth watching if you have any interest or are of that age 😎 unbelievable how it actually got going. I was 18, never even dreamed of going to America, but made up for it the next year at The Isle of Wight 😄

Sorry - I can't see when it'll be repeated, maybe on iplayer, I dunno.

Woodstock - Three Days that Defined a Generation

Friday 16th, August, 10:00pm - 11:25pm

For three days in August 1969, half a million people from all walks of life converged on a small dairy farm in upstate New York. They came to hear the concert of their lives, but most experienced something far more profound: a moment that came to define a cultural revolution. This documentary tells the story of the lead-up to those three historic days, through the voices of those who were there and the music of the time. It includes extraordinary moments from the concert itself, iconic images of both performers and festival goers, and tells how this groundbreaking event, pulled off right at the last minute, nearly ended in disaster and put the ideals of the counterculture to the test.

Read more at https://www.freeview.co.uk/tv-guide#Uf2HpE4y4fADHPkF.99

53 minutes ago, ambient said:

I know a guy who went to the Isle of Wight festival. He was only 13 or 14, his parents went mad, he travelled on his own from Birmingham.

My Mum went mad! I was only released from hospital 12th August after 3 months in traction, had to learn to walk with crutches and was only allowed to go because my best mate promised to look after me - which he did 👍

44 minutes ago, Heathy said:

I used to work with someone who went to the 1970 IoW festival. Being a big Hendrix fan, I asked him what he was like. He said that his only memory of the event was waking up on a pile of beer cans.

So, @KiOgon, what was Hendrix like...?

I had already seen Jimi twice, he was my main reason for going, he was stoned like everyone else and so so good, terrible what happened 6 weeks later 😮

couldn't believe it.

My mate still has his IoW folding chair, we each 'borrowed' one from somewhere and brought them home - don't ask me why - I think we might have had a drink? 😄

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

My Mum went mad! I was only released from hospital 12th August after 3 months in traction, had to learn to walk with crutches and was only allowed to go because my best mate promised to look after me - which he did 👍

I had already seen Jimi twice, he was my main reason for going, he was stoned like everyone else and so so good, terrible what happened 6 weeks later 😮

couldn't believe it.

My mate still has his IoW folding chair, we each 'borrowed' one from somewhere and brought them home - don't ask me why - I think we might have had a drink? 😄

That’s how I know about my friend going. I like Hendrix, I used to be really into him a few years back. I was talking to him the one day, and mentioned I’d just bought live at the Isle of Wight, my jaw just dropped when he nonchalantly replied, “oh I was there”.

• Haha 1

Woodstock was certainly a massively impressive line up. 

Some of my faves....the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Hendrix, Grateful Dead, early Santana, The Who....all played awesome sets. 

Can't wait to watch the BBC show. Also recorded stuff on Sky Arts as well. 

I remember the big celebrations of 25 years of the festival, back in 1994. 25 years back from then for me was waaay back (I was 20 in '94). So to have even that 25 years ago now, is a very scary thought! 

I didn't live through it, but the festival line ups of that era were mind blowing. The IoW 1970....Hendrix, Miles Davis, The Who....wowzers!