Why become a member? ×

Spacey Jazz Fusion/Funk Wanted

wishface

I posted this on Talkbass

I'm enjoying Return to Forever right now, along with Santana.

I love music that has song titles that sound like science fiction and mixed with a spacey sound and a positive vibe. Good bass work is always a plus.

I have Mahavishnu. Don't really count Weather Report. Pharaoh Sanders is rea.ly itneresting, but when he overblows I kinda tune out. 

Love that spacey synth sound though

Have you checked out Miles Davis’s fusion like Agharta or On the Corner, Live evil. Gongs Shamal album.  Also check the Inside from way out - Beastie Boys (instrumental stuff). Some good Headhunters stuff too, Thrust should lube your funk gland 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

Have you checked out Miles Davis’s fusion like Agharta or On the Corner, Live evil. Gongs Shamal album.  Also check the Inside from way out - Beastie Boys (instrumental stuff). Some good Headhunters stuff too, Thrust should lube your funk gland 😎

I've never really listend to Miles Davis.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, wishface said:

I've never really listend to Miles Davis.

You’re gonna love his funky fusion jamming then 😊. I find B’itchesBrew a bit intense but Agharta is a personal favourite. 

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wishface said:

That's some tasty stuff. Shame it's impossible to find anywhere else

It turned me on at age sixteen.

I'm sorry I don't have the LP any more.  It was purely because of the cover art that I made the purchase.  It took me a while to realise that it was not an image of a spacecraft!  I wore out my cassette copy too so the link above was a fortunate find.  Even at that quality, it is better than my worn out copy.

Toefunk is my favourite track out of the album but the whole thing is a trip.  Have fun unscrambling the reverse speech bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

It turned me on at age sixteen.

I'm sorry I don't have the LP any more.  It was purely because of the cover art that I made the purchase.  It took me a while to realise that it was not an image of a spacecraft!  I wore out my cassette copy too so the link above was a fortunate find.  Even at that quality, it is better than my worn out copy.

Toefunk is my favourite track out of the album but the whole thing is a trip.  Have fun unscrambling the reverse speech bit.

:D Actually i preferred the spacier stuff, tbh. Some nice bass playing. 

DiMeola: Tour de force (live)

Jeff Beck: Wired

CAB: any record

A. Holdsworth: Metal fatigue

Manring: Thonk

Tribal tech, Bruford...

As an extra, I have to share this link with you. A Finnish composer and a bassist extraordinaire, Mr. Pekka Pohjola:

7 hours ago, wishface said:

That's some tasty stuff. Shame it's impossible to find anywhere else

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4281019?ev=rb

From https://centraldoprog.blogspot.com/2017/12/visitor-2035-visitor-2035-1978-lp.html

"VISITOR 2035 were a short-lived band based in the UK, with the Irishman John Mason and Craig Pruess , an American residing in UK since 1973. Mason is renowned as a member of the Irish top-notch outfit Fruup; Pruess performed with Mike Oldfield and did arrangements for music of Sarah Brightman, Def Leppard and Massive attack, among many others.
The band self-released 'Cain! A Modern Mystery Play' in 1976, and released the self-titled album in 1978 for the German label Hansa.
The music of Visitor 2035 is heavily rooted in fusion, on the Weather Report/ Return to Forever side, with omnipresent symphonic elements and eerie spacey keyboard textures in Skywhale/ Flight vein. It's recommended to fans of music which is stepping out of the fusion realm, as well as to all fans of good music."

Edited by SpondonBassed