Why become a member? ×

speaker outlets

trescodanny

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me on my question? I have played combos for a while now but I bought a Trace Eliot Elf amp, which I love. I'm now looking for advice on the cab to connect it to, now I know TE have a cab specifically for the Elf, but at the moment it's out of my price range. So, my question is, when I look at other cabs, why are there two different outlet holes for the cab? There seems to be a choice on most cabs of a common 1/4 jack connector and then another which looks similar to a DI lead, i.e. female connector? What's the difference in output? Do you connect both, or is this just when using the cab through a PA? Thanks

Danny

You go to the cab via a Jack to jack or you can buy jack to Speakon.

But DONT think because it's a jack to jack you can use any cable that fits. Get a proper 'speaker' cable for it. NOT a guitar lead etc.

The weird di looking connector on the back of trace cabs is a much older way of connecting amp to cab. Someone more in the know will be able to explain what they are etc.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1

The older TE cabs had a XLR speaker connector in addition to a jack. XLRs have been made redundant for speaker connection since the arrival of the Speakon (they were never much better than jacks, save for the fact that they locked. The contact area was small and it was nigh on  impossible to use heavy gauge speaker cables with them).