Why become a member? ×

Incoming!

stewblack

NBD is imminent at Black Towers. Continuing my apparant quest to replace every instrument I own with a P Bass of one sort or another I have jettisoned a P/J and am eagerly awaiting the bass stork.

I'm calling her my Stealth Bass. received_430501064223567.thumb.jpeg.404c71badbe471a760b9abc0748c2ce8.jpeg

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Lovely.

I tell you what I'd do - I'd get a triple-ply BWB scratchplate.

I know, it's not all back anymore, but I replaced the all-black scratchplate on my Onyx Sterling and it looks more black with the accent.

Another great idea 

7 minutes ago, Teebs said:

...and then wear all black stage-clothes & a ninja mask! :ph34r:  

:D

... against a black back-drop rather like those Czech puppeteers who at one time enjoyed a fleeting popularity on 1960's childrens' TV shows.

The other usefulness of this approach is that if one is invisible both to the audience and one's bandmates it opens up the possibility of nipping offstage during the set for refreshments and / or a crafty Woodbine, without anyone being any the wiser.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

NBD is imminent at Black Towers. Continuing my apparant quest to replace every instrument I own with a P Bass of one sort or another I have jettisoned a P/J and am eagerly awaiting the bass stork.

I'm calling her my Stealth Bass. received_430501064223567.thumb.jpeg.404c71badbe471a760b9abc0748c2ce8.jpeg

That string alignment looks a bit wonky. Looking at the gaps between the strings and fretboard edges, and the position of the pickup pole pieces relative to the strings. Is that just a trick of the camera angle?

S.P.

6 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

That string alignment looks a bit wonky. Looking at the gaps between the strings and fretboard edges, and the position of the pickup pole pieces relative to the strings. Is that just a trick of the camera angle?

S.P.

I hope it's the angle, thank you for pointing it out though. I'll have a good look when it arrives. 

9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Mmm. To get that angle on the strings, the camera would have to be way around to the right. 

My bet is loosen the neck and give the headstock a whack to the left (as you look at the photo) and everything should straighten up. Hopefully.

I'll give it a good thump 💪

I must say that while I am genuinely grateful, no sarcasm - I mean it, for folk pointing out a potential problem I hadn't seen, it has rather dampened my excitement. 

Still better apprehensive now than disappointed later, right? 

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I must say that while I am genuinely grateful, no sarcasm - I mean it, for folk pointing out a potential problem I hadn't seen, it has rather dampened my excitement. 

Still better apprehensive now than disappointed later, right? 

I reckon it's just the camera angle, you can see the bass is not square on in the photo.

Was it originally built like that or is it a replacement bridge? It could be the bridge is narrower than the original, and instead of fitting it in the middle (which might have meant filling in all the screwholes etc) the screwholes on the G string side were used and the new ones drilled?

Well, she's arrived. Via Hermes (terrifying) and yet not in Hermes usual self assembly pack. 

Thank you all for spotting the deliberate mistake I was mentally prepared and got straight to work. 

Neck seemed to be in the right place, snugly in its pocket  and wasn't squiggly shaped  which I like in a neck. So to the bridge. Not only was it in the original factory drilled holes and the appropriate size, but was soundly fitted. However, it was pink torpedo eyed to the tune of a whole 8th of an inch and fitted a similar distance too low. 

I filled the holes, redrilled and shifted it. Players like a dream. Light as a feather and a nice growl. Flats to come next. 

• Like 4