Why become a member? ×

Peter Cook Ned Callan Bass - Bit of a Shock

Mykesbass

43 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

After reading the Rose Morris article, you'd think they'd make more of all those Rickenbackers they sold to Hitler.

I know. 

When the Nazis secretly stepped up re-armament in 1934 it was discovered that German domestic production of aluminium was insufficient to meet the Luftwaffe's needs. Increasing imports of block aluminium would have tipped off foreign intelligence services.

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1984-112-13,

Ernst Udet

Goring's Director of Aircraft Research and Development the veteran WW1 fighter ace Ernst Udet hit upon a cunning plan to secretly acquire the aluminium necessary for air frames. Through intermediaries in Portugal, Spain and Switzerland Udet purchased 40,000 Rickenbacker Frying Pan guitars, the bodies of which were made of cast aluminium. 

The guitars arrived in Lisbon, Madrid and Basel and then secretly shipped to an off-the-books foundry in the Ruhr where they were melted down and recast for use as aircraft components such as fuselage longerons, ending up in Junkers bombers including the much-feared Ju87 'Stuka' dive bomber.

Due to combat attrition in Spain 1937-1938 and replacement for wear and tear it is unlikely (though not impossible) that any of the Rickenbackerkampfflugzeuge (Rickenbacker war planes) flew in action during the period 1939-1940. As every schoolboy knows, the ME109E's which fought the RAF during the Battle of Britain had nothing to do with Rickenbacker, being constructed from melted-down Kramer necks.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

I know. 

When the Nazis secretly stepped up re-armament in 1934 it was discovered that German domestic production of aluminium was insufficient to meet the Luftwaffe's needs. Increasing imports of block aluminium would have tipped off foreign intelligence services.

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1984-112-13,

Ernst Udet

Goring's Director of Aircraft Research and Development the veteran WW1 fighter ace Ernst Udet hit upon a cunning plan to secretly acquire the aluminium necessary for air frames. Through intermediaries in Portugal, Spain and Switzerland Udet purchased 40,000 Rickenbacker Frying Pan guitars, the bodies of which were made of cast aluminium. 

The guitars arrived in Lisbon, Madrid and Basel and then secretly shipped to an off-the-books foundry in the Ruhr where they were melted down and recast for use as aircraft components such as fuselage longerons, ending up in Junkers bombers including the much-feared Ju87 'Stuka' dive bomber.

Due to combat attrition in Spain and replacement for wear and tear it is unlikely (though not impossible) that any of the 'Rickenbacker planes' flew in action during the period 1939-1940. As every schoolboy knows, the ME109E's which fought the RAF during the Battle of Britain had nothing to do with Rickenbacker, being constructed from melted-down Kramer necks.

Exactly.

Rickenbackers = Junkers

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

After reading the Rose Morris article, you'd think they'd make more of all those Rickenbackers they sold to Hitler.

You trying to merge this with my recent Off Topic post? 😀 

Edited by Mykesbass

2 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Exactly.

Rickenbackers = Junkers

Quite so.

In 1936 Goering addressed a meeting of the Air Council, observing:

'Diese Rickenbacker-Kampfflugzeuge können nur so lange als Notlösung angesehen werden, bis das Reich die Nationen beherrscht, die von Aluminium überflutet werden. Sie sind ein bisschen scheiße, und der Mann, der die Rickenbacker Fabrik Ende des 20. Jahrhunderts leiten wird, wird ein Schweinehund sein'*

(These Rickenbacker war planes can only be considered a stopgap until such time as the Reich has established dominance over those nations which enjoy a surfeit of aluminium. They are a bit stinky poo and the man who will be running the Rickenbacker factory at the end of the twentieth century will be a pig-dog).

* source: William L Shirer - The Rise And Fall of the Third Reich

15 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Quite so.

In 1936 Goering addressed a meeting of the Air Council, observing:

'Diese Rickenbacker-Kampfflugzeuge können nur so lange als Notlösung angesehen werden, bis das Reich die Nationen beherrscht, die von Aluminium überflutet werden. Sie sind ein bisschen scheiße, und der Mann, der die Rickenbacker Fabrik Ende des 20. Jahrhunderts leiten wird, wird ein Schweinehund sein'*

(These Rickenbacker war planes can only be considered a stopgap until such time as the Reich has established dominance over those nations which enjoy a surfeit of aluminium. They are a bit stinky poo and the man who will be running the Rickenbacker factory at the end of the twentieth century will be a pig-dog).

* source: William L Shirer - The Rise And Fall of the Third Reich

And there we have bridge-lift explained in a nutshell.

Thread/

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

To knock you about the head with? 👍

[Pedantry] With which to knock me about the head [/Pedantry]

Anyway, I'd like to see him try. Take him easy. 

At NAMM 2017 Chris Martin IV (who's a little skinny bloke maybe 9 stone wringing wet) put him in a headlock and simultaneously gave him a wedgie. Of course, Hall went on the Rick Resource and claimed he'd won and they all went 'Woo-woo! Mr Hall, we love you, you're such a dude!' Then the pictures came out and he was reduced to saying it was just play-fighting. 

Another time, he got into it with teeny-tiny Susanna Hoffs out of The Bangles over a QC issue and she cleaned his clock, knocked three of his teeth out and sent him home in a f*cking ambulance.

So, no. He could try and then I'd go...

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

He's got my kids, Skank -- My kids!!!

Calm down, dear.

My associate @lozkerr is totally across this. She'll be coming down in a Wallis Arnold coach with her silent disco radio jammer, the cast of the Edinburgh Tattoo and a couple of tasty* Albanian geezers. The kiddie-winkies'll be home in no time.

As for the other matter...

giphy.gif

* Albanian gangsters taste like smoky bacon crisps. Fact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

My apologies for the error above. This should have read: 'a Wallis Simpson coach'.

18385993_meghanmarkleoldpic.jpg.f09ee5912d88d5f2d23991a7a10cd208.jpg

1936:  Mrs Simpson and King Edward VIII prior to the abdication

Isn't it astonishing how much a certain Major James Whosisit resembles the late King?

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Calm down, dear.

My associate @lozkerr is totally across this. She'll be coming down in a Wallis Arnold coach with her silent disco radio jammer, the cast of the Edinburgh Tattoo and a couple of tasty* Albanian geezers. The kiddie-winkies'll be home in no time.

As for the other matter...

giphy.gif

* Albanian gangsters taste like smoky bacon crisps. Fact.

Oh Lord *breaks down*... Thank you, Skank, and thank you @lozkerr ... how can I ever repay you(s)?? *sob* 😔

Obviously, I could record a jaunty theme tune for each of you, on the bass? 😀

(That's a super-cool video by the way, Mr DV. 😎 Is it from the Salisbury and District Tourist Board website? :ph34r:)

• Thanks 1