Why become a member? ×

Peter Cook Ned Callan Bass - Bit of a Shock

Mykesbass

23 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Sure, but there is some real nonsense in their 'article' about Bobby Sands, the first that rang my alarm bell was the claim that songs he had written have been covered by many artists, including the Grateful Dead. Now, it is my business to know a few things about the Dead, and that is simply untrue. They (well, Bob Weir did, anyway) did dedicate a song to him a day after he died (He's Gone) but it certainly wasn't written by him - it was a Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia collaboration. The brief announcement 'This one's for Bobby Sands' can be heard clearly on one of the live CDs I've got upstairs.

I didn't realise The Grateful Dead were terrorist sympathisers. 

41 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

I'm pretty sure they weren't - but it was reported differently over there, the American press tended to be fairly pro IRA as far as I know. I doubt that Bob Weir thought much about it, just announced the song 'He's Gone' as being for someone in the news who had indeed just gone.

3 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

2 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I'm pretty sure they weren't - but it was reported differently over there

Dave makes a valid point. Sections of the US media and political communities have long espoused an animus towards the partition of Ireland and - in consequence - failed (or chosen not) to see the much darker side of the romanticised Bold Fenian Rebels. It is a view which coloured American attitudes at the time and continues to obtain in certain circles ... and not just across The Pond.

I think there was also a tendency in the 1960's for the counter-culture to view certain groups as 'freedom fighters' and to harbour a sympathy for those they considered to be outlaws opposed to The Man - this before the growth of international terrorism in the 1970's and the dawning realisation that not all these people were Robin Hood and His Merry Men dressed in berets and army surplus jackets.

Combine the historical American animus toward The Brits In Ireland with the hippies' anti-establishment ideals and we can see how even as late as 1981 Mr Weir might have drifted without any great reflection into expressing a certain regret at Mr Sands' passing. I don't think Mr Weir was - or is - a terrorist sympathiser but like many Yanks of his generation he may have had a culturally-induced blind spot.

Clarification: I am not giving Bob a pass because I'm a Grateful Dead fan. Au contraire. Can't stand them. NOI, Dave xD

• Like 3

It was all going so well until that final line! Still, as Mr J. Garcia said, the GD are like liquorice - some people like them (it) and some people don't. But the people that do like them (it), they really  like it (them)!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

the GD are like liquorice

Well, that would explain it. Can't stand liquorice either and here's how much: 

As a child I would buy a Barratts' Sherbet Dab, throw away the hated liquorice tube and then commence to neck the sherbet straight from the packet. In the aftermath I would be covered from head to foot in white powder, resembling no one so much as  Mr Tony Montana after a serious night on the Charlie.

8b29ebcd3976c738be5ccae2a7d7881f.jpg

Tony discovers sherbet dabs

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

As a child I would buy a Barratts' Sherbet Dab, throw away the hated liquorice tube and then commence to neck the sherbet straight from the packet. In the aftermath I would be covered from head to foot in white powder, resembling no one so much as  Mr Tony Montana after a serious night on the Charlie.

I did the same. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FinnDave said:

BUT..but…the contrast between the liquorice and the sherbet was what to was all about. Really!!

Doubtless this may have been the case for many dab consumers and I wish them joy of it. 

But liquorice is a line beyond which I will not go and my aversion goes so far back that I cannot now recall its genesis. I may as a small child have once choked upon a Liquorice Allsort. Perhaps Bertie Bassett awakens an unreasoning primal animus deep in my psyche. It is all rather difficult and even discussing liquorice is putting me on edge.

Deep breath in, deep breath out, deep breath in, deep breath out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Doubtless this may have been the case for many dab consumers and I wish them joy of it. 

But liquorice is a line beyond which I will not go and my aversion goes so far back that I cannot now recall its genesis. I may as a small child have once choked upon a Liquorice Allsort. Perhaps Bertie Bassett awakens an unreasoning primal animus deep in my psyche. It is all rather difficult and even discussing liquorice is putting me on edge.

Deep breath in, deep breath out, deep breath in, deep breath out.

You may wish to look away.....

The only form in which I can tolerate liquorice is the torpedo. This dates back to my youth when, on the way home from school, I would buy a bag of kali (I’ve just realised I have no idea how to spell that word - I’ve known it from being an infant but never had occasion to spell it before. Basically, crystal sherbet. ) and a bag of liquorice torpedoes in the same bag. The torpedoes were then licked and used as transport to deliver the kali to a waiting mouth. 

The combination of sherbet and the outer coating of the torpedo managed to disguise the taste of the liquorice while still allowing its chewiness to give some substance to the mouthful.

19 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Takes all sorts I guess

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 19/08/2019 at 19:52, skankdelvar said:

Have you noticed, when youngsters use the word dab nowadays they're rarely talking about sherbet, but some strange dance move resembling a poorly stifled sneeze? Although I guess sherbet dabs could indeed result in those...

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 19:08, skankdelvar said:

Sections of the US media and political communities have long espoused an animus towards the partition of Ireland and - in consequence - failed (or chosen not) to see the much darker side of the romanticised Bold Fenian Rebels. It is a view which coloured American attitudes at the time and continues to obtain in certain circles ... and not just across The Pond.

I recall at university being repeatedly asked by a couple of American students what it had been like growing up in oppression under martial law as a child... like I’d gone to school in a mixture of Colditz and 1950s Leningrad! I left it as “Life in Northern Ireland really isn’t quite like that!” and “The situation really isn’t as black and white as Noraid and co paint it.” I didn’t have the heart to mention that (despite coming from a thoroughly non-sectarian and apolitical family) I was “from the other side” and therefore “an enemy of freedom and justice” (their words), if you know what I mean!

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:21, Beer of the Bass said:

Have you noticed, when youngsters use the word dab nowadays they're rarely talking about sherbet, but some strange dance move resembling a poorly stifled sneeze? Although I guess sherbet dabs could indeed result in those...

A common dab writes:

"Frankly I'm getting a bit peed off at the constant misuse of my name. Whether it's contemporary dance or those infernal sherbet things, although ironically I'm quite partial to liquorice actually, I think it's because the aniseed helps to cut through the overwhelmingly seaweedy flavour of pretty much everything in my diet, which I suppose isn't all that surprising when you think about it. Well for god's sake, you try eating anything else with your mouth on bloody sideways, see how you get on. And yes, I think you look bloody silly too. Where was I?"

35771998732_25fc9bddc7_b.jpg

• Haha 6