Why become a member? ×

Peter Cook Ned Callan Bass - Bit of a Shock

Mykesbass

OK, PLEASE don't get political on this thread - I'm posting out of historical interest.

I saw a Peter Cook Ned Callan bass advertised on Facebook. It looked interesting (as all basses do to us GAS stricken bass players). So I followed one of the links, and was stunned to see who the second most (in)famous Peter Cook bass player was! https://www.pulsebeatguitars.com/html/1970s/1972_Callan.php?fbclid=IwAR2RCOpZc_NHWU3xso7Lw6KGiKZQF8jZ8adEUcJv9fL41k11fvUvW2-v2xY

“The previous owner of this Ned Callan Bass worked for a few touring bands in the 70's, which included The WHO. This Callan Bass had been given to him as a gift. Now, the only prominent musician I can find who ever played a Ned Callan Custom Bass was John Entwistle. So, was this one of John's personal Basses... "WHO" Knows.”

Well, the Ox’s Ned Callan Bass was sold at the famous Sotheby’s (or was it Christie’s?) JE Collection so if the owner can’t remember bidding for it then it’s safe to say it wasn’t Mr Entwistle’s bass...

I had a Ned a few years back (branded as CMI, the Marshall spinoff brand), not entirely sure from what I read at the time that these were "hand-made by Peter Cook", as that article suggests. Seem to remember they were also available branded Shaftesbury as well.

Sold mine to @razze06, don't know if he still has it.

image.png.5c2390718744d1cc15519251c19fae53.png

Yep I still have it. It's currently at the workshop getting a refret :)

I don't use it a huge amount, but I like to keep it because it's got a really unusual tone and playing position, and it's now the second oldest bass I own!

Here it is in action a few years ago

179386_10150098893131952_3266869_n.jpg?_

• Like 1

Our bassist back in the 70s had a Ned. What an awesome beast it was. Talk about heft. He played it through a Sound City 100 watt valve amp through a WEM 2x15 ported cab, it was areal chest shaker.

Edited by mikel
Adition
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Who knows what counts as provenance on the inter web these days but this Rose Morris article suggests that it is Bobby Sands too...

https://rosemorris.com/blogs/news/14900469-bobby-sands-and-his-nobbly-ned-callan-shaftesbury

https://pastdaily.com/2013/12/27/mike-oldfield-concert-1973-nights-roundtable-concert-edition/

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Sands

Bobbysandslongkesh1973.jpg

Oldfield

Mike_Oldfield_2_t180.jpg?370a03faaa4bde2

I wonder if Oldfield is aware of this mistaken identity?! 

Interestingly, a quick Google to see if this has ever come up before shows a result for Robert Michael Oldfield Havers,  Baron Havers QC who represented the Crown in the case against the Guildford Four. 

• Like 1

May we all agree not to tip Rose Morris off to their foolish mistake? To do so would deny generations unborn their opportunity to have a belly-laugh at the expense of a prominent and gullible music retailer who seems - perhaps - to go round lifting stuff from other peoples' web sites without checking the facts.

In other news: GAK post a blog piece about Leon Trotsky's Shergold Meteor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

May we all agree not to tip Rose Morris off to their foolish mistake? To do so would deny generations unborn their opportunity to have a belly-laugh at the expense of a prominent and gullible music retailer who seems - perhaps - to go round lifting stuff from other peoples' web sites without checking the facts.

In other news: GAK post a blog piece about Leon Trotsky's Shergold Meteor.

Sure, but there is some real nonsense in their 'article' about Bobby Sands, the first that rang my alarm bell was the claim that songs he had written have been covered by many artists, including the Grateful Dead. Now, it is my business to know a few things about the Dead, and that is simply untrue. They (well, Bob Weir did, anyway) did dedicate a song to him a day after he died (He's Gone) but it certainly wasn't written by him - it was a Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia collaboration. The brief announcement 'This one's for Bobby Sands' can be heard clearly on one of the live CDs I've got upstairs.

I strongly suspect that the rest of RM's piece has a similar very vague relationship with reality!

BTW, I understand that Leon Trotsky was asked to play his Shergold on Albert Collins' 'Ice Man' recording, but for some reason, he declined. Said to have muttered something about 'bloody ice' and refused to comment further. I believe he had a similar aversion to using a pick.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Sure, but there is some real nonsense in their 'article' about Bobby Sands

Indeed - there are considerably more accurate and insightful resources available for those who wish to study Sands.

The slightly breathless and awe-struck tone of the piece in respect of Sands' lyrical and writing talents leads me to suspect that the author possibly has a smidgeon of an agenda. I've read some of Sands' poetry and - IMO - it's 'competent'.

Edited by skankdelvar