Why become a member? ×

Mustangs!

nick

I'm a recent convert to these great little monsters. I've acquired two in the last six months 😊

2016 (MIJ) 'Fender Special Run' & a '78 natural. Both love flats, got Chromes on the FSR & Labellas on the '78

Mustang (2).jpg

Fender Mustang 78.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Much to my own surprise, never owned one of these despite being a short-scale player.  Doubly strange as I played one for a year or so a few years back and loved it.  The singer/rhythm guitarist whose band it was found it in a skip and, being an accomplished wood-worker, was able to restore it.  He insisted that I played it as he reckoned it was the nicest-sounding bass he'd ever heard.  Couldn't really argue as it was perfect for what the band doing.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1

I have a Squier VM Mustang that I like a lot.  It's my second!  A previous owner had swapped out the pickup for a Nordtstrand MN4, which I like, and also applied a cheeky Fender decal, which I can live with.  I think you'd be hard pressed to tell this apart from the real thing now - except the weight.  The few Fender Mustangs in black with maple necks I've seen online have all been exceedingly heavy whereas this is around 7.5lbs.

Edit - lousy picture.  My shaky hands!

newsquiermustang.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I have a Squier VM Mustang that I like a lot.  It's my second!  A previous owner had swapped out the pickup for a Nordtstrand MN4, which I like, and also applied a cheeky Fender decal, which I can live with.  I think you'd be hard pressed to tell this apart from the real thing now - except the weight.  The few Fender Mustangs in black with maple necks I've seen online have all been exceedingly heavy whereas this is around 7.5lbs.

Edit - lousy picture.  My shaky hands!

newsquiermustang.jpg

Very nice in black with maple board and black markers - a bit like my AndyJr build in progress.

http://imageproxy1.jpg

http://[/img][/url] imageproxy2.jpg

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, nick said:

Both of those are lovely ....How do they play & sound comparatively?

there are a few differences between the '75 and '66:

- 1975 has on roundwound strings, pickup isn't the original one but a lollar custom shop (the standard lollar has a different size and wouldn't fitted on a vintage mustang). it sounds brighter than the '66, more aggressive i love the tone with the pick. body has contour that might it feel a bit more comfortable. thicker neck.

- 1966 has on labella flatwound strings, original pickup. this one has a good punch and attack and sound smoother than the '75. lightweight bass and what i mostly love about it is the neck, shape is thinner than the other mustang and feel super comfortable to me. i'm also a p bass player so i like too big and chunky necks but this one has something special to me.

• Like 4