Why become a member? ×

Best software for transcribing MP3 tracks

Teebs

Okay, before I ask my question, I know that this has been discussed before on the Forum, but I can't seem to find references to it, so to save peoples the time - yes, I'm an idiot, yes, I should search more thoroughly, yes, I should know instinctively, yes, I am aware of Google... smiley

(Ha @Skinnyman @Ricky 4000 et al - I got in first! :P )

I've been asked to learn basslines from MP3 tracks, some from live performances, some from studio recordings.

I'm confident that I can do this by ear, but I'm aware that there is software available that can help transcribe and slow down tempo, and I'm interested in if this would save me any time learning the material.

I apologise if I've misunderstood the capabilities of the software out there, but I'm sure I read about it on here somewhere...

Many thanks in advance :)

Completely agree. Audacity. I use it every day. Brilliant tool. Copy and paste track, increase pitch by 100%, boost mids with eq tool and roll off the top. 

Suddenly all you hear is the bass! Loop and slow down awkward parts, save just those parts to mp3 if you want to practise away from pc, record yourself  playing along simultaneously... it's indispensable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Another one for guitar Pro. I used to use Guitar Rig as that allowed you to load a backing track, alter the pitch, slow it down, etc - but now i just use Guitar Pro.

Is it any good for metal?

:D

Can it make a Rickenfingy sound like a bass? :D

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

So, you have my attention now -- what's all this about feeding an mp3 into Guitar Hero, and a list of perfect bass tab comes out the other end??

Yes - you put a Hempeefree into Guitar hero, and it prints out the music on paper, and then plays it prefectly for you, and then you have learnt the entire tune, and are the bestest bass player evz! :)

Technology is wonderful! :D

Seriously though, I've been playing around with Audacity since it was suggested, and it's brilliant!

Coupled with AnthemScore, which converts the music to dots (left & right hand piano parts - bass being the left hand) - it's amazing! :o

• Like 3

Here's a tip: Equaliser APO.

If you run Windoze, you prolly noticed that the Win Sound Controls don't have an EQ.

So if you might want to quickly low-pass or high-pass or otherwise EQ anything you're playing via the computer without bothering to download it and open it up in Audacity or Reaper or something -- EQ APO is the man. 👍

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

equalise apo Capture.JPG

Edited by Ricky 4000
download link added
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Here's a tip: Equaliser APO.

If you run Windoze, you prolly noticed that the Win Sound Controls don't have an EQ.

So if you might want to quickly low-pass or high-pass or otherwise EQ anything you're playing via the computer without bothering to download it and open it up in Audacity or Reaper or something -- EQ APO is the man. 👍

equalise apo Capture.JPG

Nice! smiley

• Like 1

I've had Anthemscore for a while (demo version) but I can't for the life of me find how to change a notation transcription into the correct key. As in, I ask the software to analyse, say, a song that I know is in A minor, and the damn thing comes up with Eb major!

So I go to the dropdown menu in the appropriate field to choose the correct key to re-transcribe, and can only see SOME keys, not all. A minor is NOT among them, because the list only gives major keys. Not sure where I'm going wrong, but on this basis, I wouldn't recommend the software, and I won't be buying the full version.

Unless of course I'm being an idiot and someone can explain where I'm going wrong. :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stewblack said:

Completely agree. Audacity. I use it every day. Brilliant tool. Copy and paste track, increase pitch by 100%, boost mids with eq tool and roll off the top.

Could you please expand on this bit for a total novice at this sort of thing?  After a few goes of trying it for myself I mostly managed to make a song I am trying to learn sound like aliens were landing behind a partition wall.

• Haha 2