Why become a member? ×

NBD : Squier CV Precision '50s LPB

neil___lien

Those are really great basses...ive owned one that didn't sound anything less than the 71 telecaster bass I owned shortly before. Though the original pickup had been upgraded.

Congrats on your find! 

I'd say it looks pretty clean now :)

I've got some basses in the past from some very less tidy people... I did barely dare to touch the strings ;). Boiling indeed helps for a while, but nowadays I'd rather buy a new cheap set of strings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, outtaseezun said:

Also, does boiling old strings really bring them back to life? 

I've not done it since I was a skint student, but yes, boiling old roundwounds restores a lot of the zing.

I seem to remember it being a fairly short term fix though.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, outtaseezun said:

Hey guys! Thanks for all Ur replies & input! 

I'll see how the cleaning goes & might reach out the @KiOgon as suggested!

Thaaaanks! 

If you want a traditional 50s sound then a set of flatwound strings is what you need. Flats will last you many years (10 years plus) without needing to change them and the best bit is that they get better with age!

You can pick up a decent set of Status Hotwire flatwounds for less than £18. 😎

• Like 2

On 16/08/2019 at 20:35, hooky_lowdown said:

If you want a traditional 50s sound then a set of flatwound strings is what you need. Flats will last you many years (10 years plus) without needing to change them and the best bit is that they get better with age!

You can pick up a decent set of Status Hotwire flatwounds for less than £18. 😎

Where can you get the Status Hotwire Flatwounds from ? Google doesn't seem able to help, Status don't seem to list them except in short scale

Edited by Aidan63

1 hour ago, Aidan63 said:

Where can you get the Status Hotwire Flatwounds from ? Google doesn't seem able to help, Status don't seem to list them except in short scale

Mmmmmm, seems Status have stopped making the long scale flats. Fender flats, for a few quid more are even better imho.

• Like 2

Fellaaaaaz & Fellazettes! It's me again!

i have a question for U. Since we're at my Girlfriend's parents' for a few more days, i play the bass with headphones through my poopy travel amp (Blackstar Fly Bass, 3W) & through the headphones, without even using the EQ & Comp knobs of the amp, i get that awesome P-Bass sound & the tone knob really has a massive impact on the overall sound. 

When i play unplugged through that same amp, the magic is gone. & last night i was at a friend's studio, & it was the same: the P-bass sounded like any other random bass through the studio monitors (bass plugged directly into the DAW). What is in the tiny amp that reveals the Pbass sound?

Will be back home in 10 days. Hope my Warwick combo gives me the same tone i have with headphones on the Fly amp...