Why become a member? ×

P bass pickups

Delamitri79

This is proving to be a very expensive thread for me. 

I am just about to start a P Bass bitsa project using old bits left over from upgrades. Planned a simple P for classic rock running flats. I’ve got a modern J with Kent Armstrong handwounds  so I just want a clean old tone .

Was planning to use Entwhistle PBXNs. I’ve used his pickups in 6 sting guitars and they are stunning for the cost. But with all the praise for CS 62s I’m now thinking that the PBXNs will be too bright and modern.  

This was supposed to be a cheap project but I get the “buy cheap buy twice” thing. 😞 

Edited by Tvrtastic
Speling

34 minutes ago, Tvrtastic said:

This is proving to be a very expensive thread for me. 

I am just about to start a P Bass bitsa project using old bits left over from upgrades. Planned a simple P for classic rock running flats. I’ve got a modern J with Kent Armstrong handwounds  so I just want a clean old tone .

Was planning to use Entwhistle PBXNs. I’ve used his pickups in 6 sting guitars and they are stunning for the cost. But with all the praise for CS 62s I’m now thinking that the PBXNs will be too bright and modern.  

This was supposed to be a cheap project but I get the “buy cheap buy twice” thing. 😞 

PBNX's are modern sounding. If you want a 'vintage' voiced cheap pickup you want a Wilkinson alnico, which sounds close to a 62, but obviously not as good, but still very decent, and punches way beyond its price tag, much like the PBNX's do.

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

PBNX's are modern sounding. If you want a 'vintage' voiced cheap pickup you want a Wilkinson alnico, which sounds close to a 62, but obviously not as good, but still very decent, and punches way beyond its price tag, much like the PBNX's do.

Yes, I’ve got those in my Vintage Tony Butler Precision and they are near enough in sound to the 62s for me to have not bothered swapping them out. 

Edited by Lozz196

On 16/08/2019 at 22:01, Meddle said:

I've used these Kent Armstrong pickups before today, and tomorrow I'm sticking them back into my MIM P bass.

https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/electronics-c17/kent-armstrong-guitar-pickups-c100/kent-armstrong-bass-pickups-c101/kent-armstrong-hot-vintage-p-bass-pickup-alnico-p2483

They call them 'Hot Vintage', but the 'hot' part is a misnomer. They have the same DC resistance and mags as those in a vintage P bass pickup from the '60s. 

Another choice is the Dimarzio Area P pickup. This has Alnico II rods and a modest, vintage output. I have one in my PJ Mustang bass and I love it. Broad, warm P bass tones that makes the bass sound a lot bigger than it is.

I used to put CS 62's in all my builds but decided to try these in my last build because the specs were the same.

They sounded EXACTLY the same to my ears and at less than half the price of CS 62's, they are an absolute steal imo 😉

1 hour ago, thebrig said:

I used to put CS 62's in all my builds but decided to try these in my last build because the specs were the same.

They sounded EXACTLY the same to my ears and at less than half the price of CS 62's, they are an absolute steal imo 😉

That’s interesting, though the post mentions two pickups, Kent Armstrong Hot Vintage and Dimarzio Area P -which one is the one you tried?

21 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s interesting, though the post mentions two pickups, Kent Armstrong Hot Vintage and Dimarzio Area P -which one is the one you tried?

Sorry Lozz, I should have said that they were the Kent Armstrongs, for £49.95, you really can't go wrong