Why become a member? ×

P bass pickups

Delamitri79

'62 everytime.

I recently purchased another Steve Harris precision (Blue Sparkle) after regretting selling the first one I had a few years ago. Again I've replaced the stock SPB1 with a CS '62 just as I did with the first one I had. To my ears it just sounds far better, has a lovely break up quality to it and really comes into its own in a band mix.

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 1

I could be in the same boat on this topic soon... I’d narrowed the choice down to these 2 sets (after someone locally suggested bare knuckle which sound to gritty for me) 

@Deedee @walshy @hooky_lowdown @Lozz196All votes for the genders but why? I Appreciate sound is subjective I play a lot of funk and modern stuff do the Cs62’s allow that with nice deep lows? 

Apologies to the OP for a quick hijack! 

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

I could be in the same boat on this topic soon... I’d narrowed the choice down to these 2 sets (after someone locally suggested bare knuckle) 

@Deedee @walshy @hooky_lowdown All votes for the genders but why? I Appreciate sound is subjective I play a lot of funk and modern stuff do the Cs62’s allow that with nice deep lows? 

They just sound so so much better than anything else 'off the shelf'. Don't know why, they just do. I have them in 3 of my build basses now and they sound as good as anything I have heard. I use them for Foo Fighters and Paramore tributes as well as rock/pop/funk stuff and they are just bloody good. Bring that Modulus up to my house and try them 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, walshy said:

They just sound so so much better than anything else 'off the shelf'. Don't know why, they just do. I have them in 3 of my build basses now and they sound as good as anything I have heard. I use them for Foo Fighters and Paramore tributes as well as rock/pop/funk stuff and they are just bloody good. Bring that Modulus up to my house and try them 😉

High praise indeed!! 

Thats a very long journey to hear a bass 🤔 you come to me and bring them down. 😂 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I could be in the same boat on this topic soon... I’d narrowed the choice down to these 2 sets (after someone locally suggested bare knuckle which sound to gritty for me) 

@Deedee @walshy @hooky_lowdown @Lozz196All votes for the genders but why? I Appreciate sound is subjective I play a lot of funk and modern stuff do the Cs62’s allow that with nice deep lows? 

30 minutes ago, walshy said:

Pretty much the same for me too. The 62s have a warmth and depth to them that I’ve not come across before, but it’s not a boom or lack of treble. These pickup react well to whatever is asked of them, I play trebly twangy driven punk and they deliver, but in days when I’m playing along to Motown they also do the business when the drive and twang is removed - which I do just by turning back the tone control on the bass, no need to adjust on amp. I’ve had many different Precisions over the years and these are by far the best pickups I’ve heard in any of them.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bassfan said:

For me it's simple. The 62's produce the P sound I'm familiar with from umpteen recordings. They just sound right (in every sense... tone, bite, output, warmth). I play rock, indie, blues, motown and the 62's nail that. But if you play funk and modern, than 62's are not right for that sound. In fact, a jazz bass would be more suitable, with "modern" voiced pickups.

As the OP was comparing two "vintage" voiced pickups, as said by many of us, the 62 rules, imho.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Delamitri79 said:

If I'm changing the pickups would it be a good idea to change the wiring harness and pots aswell 

Depends what bass you have. If it has a decent harness to begin with there is no point. 

If you want a vintage tone, look for 250k pots, if you want a modern tone go for 500k pots.

On 15/08/2019 at 04:17, Delamitri79 said:

Fender custom shop 62 or Seymour Duncan spb1 vintage?? 

Neither. Fender Vintage '63.  Great reviews. One of the best P bass pickups Fender ever made. I have one. Excellent full bass sound with just a touch of midrange. 

Edited by Kawarthabass

11 hours ago, gazhowe said:

Can anyone describe the difference in tone between the Fender Custom Shop 62 pickup and the stock pickup in the Fender Player Precision’s please?

Not much to be honest. In order to get the same sound I just drop the hi-mids and highs a touch (mids a tad more than highs) so I suppose that means the Player is slightly more aggressive sounding with the same eq. I had planned to change the pups in the Player to the 62s but found I didn’t really need to.

62's for me as well, I have them in my Custom Shop 62 and it is my go to Precision for recording, to me the only thing that comes close, and surprisingly hasn't got a mention thus far is the Lindy Fralin pickups, I have them in my Jazz bass and my 50's classic Precision, for me they give a slightly "tighter" sound which works well live.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Not much to be honest. In order to get the same sound I just drop the hi-mids and highs a touch (mids a tad more than highs) so I suppose that means the Player is slightly more aggressive sounding with the same eq. I had planned to change the pups in the Player to the 62s but found I didn’t really need to.

Thanks @Lozz196, I’ve only just bought my first P bass (Player Series) and like how it sounds but this thread got me wondering if it was worth changing the pickup. You’ve just saved me a few quid. 😎