Why become a member? ×

What3words

Oopsdabassist

5 hours ago, BassTractor said:

W
I think it's very promising as a system, but still think it needs to be integrated in other systems, and there, I think, lies the bottleneck.

It's integrated in to the OEM satnav of my car........

8 hours ago, Muppet said:

It's integrated in to the OEM satnav of my car........

Ah! Interesting, and another step forward. Where TomTom and W3W in part dropped the ball (last statement I saw from TomTom was they still are working on the B2B segment), someone didn't.

Do you have any idea which manufacturer is behind this?
Garmin by any chance?

Mind you, I'm no pro, and my enthusiasm towards certain uses is no indication of W3W's usablity as a system for other uses. I'm certain lots of brainy types are thinking loudly as we speak about many aspects. I'm just charmed with the idea that if I order a bass, I could state in the delivery options:
"W3W: deliver.bass.here approach via best.bass.route."

I've edited out a paragraph I hadn't been thinking through.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

when I first heard of it I thought "what's the point?" 

But then I remembered the time we broke down and spend some time trying to tell someone on the phone where we were. This was not even a remote location. I got the coordinates using a GPS app, and that did the trick... but it's very easy to make a little mistake that would take someone far away from where you are. Three words? Awesome.

And that's why I'll never be a millionaire inventor: I just don't recognise a good idea fast enough :)

43 minutes ago, mcnach said:

the time we broke down and spend some time trying to tell someone on the phone where we were. This was not even a remote location. I got the coordinates using a GPS app, and that did the trick... but it's very easy to make a little mistake that would take someone far away from where you are.

Indeed, and I think we might just be moving in the direction of technology taking care of that part, as in an app on your phone sharing your position with the ones you're talking to.
In fact, my GPS unit already has a dedicated button for that function.

I loves it.
I can fall down from Preikestolen and send my position before even hitting the ground. Awesome! 😎

• Haha 1