Why become a member? ×

What3words

Oopsdabassist

Just read the Beeb story - what a genuinely useful and inspired idea for an app. Good to see the emergency services all over it too - there are so many places that aren't thousands of acres of wilderness that are difficult to explain a location for - you could be 400yds from safety and not know how to give directions.

• Like 1

It works! 😍
I'm not at home, but I'd like everyone to visit me at unimpeded.hero.inviting.
Be very careful when parking your car at steaming.squabbles.collision.
Please find tea and something sweet in the cupboard at cakes.twinkling.system.
My sofa's not new, but please be seated at marginal.risk.shipwreck.
C-ya there when I get back! 😎

BTW my old address, as relayed in the old threads, was perfect for ordering food as it contained pizzeria and delivery.

PS all true W3W addresses (after correcting a misspelled one), and with true placement of everything from car park to sofa to cupboard.
I still like my old address more.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Ha! You have a caravan?

Man cave type thing, ie somewhere to hide?

No just overflow storage these days - and before you ask - no it's not full of basses 😝 it's Kaz's retreat anyhow!

• Like 1

BTW, and maybe interesting to users of TomTom GPS units, the Mapcode Foundation offer mapcodes that may be as short as 4 digits/letters, though often 6 - for example: 4H.JB.
AFAIK, TomTom units accept these mapcodes.

Of course, W3W was designed so the words can be pronounced and understood during a telephone conversation, but it offers its own drawbacks: for example, I found different addresses in the UK that differed by one letter only , e.g. squabble vs squabbles.

Great, great potential nevertheless.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

wow you really have been looking into this fella, I'm impressed!

Guessing you're referring to me: thanks, but I just scratched the surface, and we did have a thread about W3W two years ago, and another one earlier this year, so my delving is not from today.

I think it's very promising as a system, but still think it needs to be integrated in other systems, and there, I think, lies the bottleneck.
For example: TomTom and W3W proudly announced cooperation in 2017 or 2018, before somehow forgetting everything about it, and going back on their promises. In general, there is the hard bit of negotiating systems like these in B2B environments due to conflicting interests.

Edited by BassTractor

I never knew there were threads on here before, blimey, I been lurking here for years, dunno how I missed those :( Sorry if I duplicate posted, I saw the link on BBC news today and it was the first I had heard of it, I honestly thought I as spreading the news about something new lol!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I never knew there were threads on here before, blimey, I been lurking here for years, dunno how I missed those :( Sorry if I duplicate posted, I saw the link on BBC news today and it was the first I had heard of it, I honestly thought I as spreading the news about something new lol!

Oh, but that's OK, and a lot more than just OK. Earlier threads were only about the website, which is far less practical than this app. Well worth getting appdated about it (I'm sorry), and thanks for posting the OP!

If you decide to look up the old threads, you'll find I gave four or five examples of self-experienced situations where this system is far better than traditional means.
Me I loves it despite my remarks: I just want it to be perfec. (sic!)

• Like 1