Why become a member? ×

Kieran

Kieran

I have bought a bruce thomas profile bass. It feels great to play and sounds awesome at practice (low volume) but at gig volume the sound seems to intermittently drop out. it might be one note from a riff but ca happen several times in a song. It isn't a particular string/fret and it happens with pick and finger style. It doesn't happen at all with my jazz bass everything else in the set up being the same ie amp ab cables etc so must be the guitar. I love the tone and want to gigit regularly but can't as it s. Has a one experienced anything similar? 

I'd check my jack socket for loose wires or touching wires, then work through to the pots and wiggle the wiring on them. Probably the best thing is to loosen off the jack socket (not sure if it is on a scratchplate) so you can get at the wires, then plug it all in and have a wiggle! Could just be a dry solder joint too...

I had that problem on a P bass once. I took off the scratchplate to investigate and found that some of the metal shielding foil inside the pot cavity was lifting and just touching the jack plug when inserted, thus intermittently cutting the signal. Easy fix.

• Like 1