Why become a member? ×

Contemplating a Trip to Bass Direct

Frank Blank

I am, unsurprisingly considering the post title, considering taking a drive up to Bass Direct in the near future. I occurred to me that somewhere along the 143 ml route from my part of Essex to Leamington Spa someone/two/three might want to occupy one of the three spare seats and visit this veritable Aladdin’s Cave of bassology? If anybody fancies the trip then we can sort out dates/times etc. Or is this a stupid idea? 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I am, unsurprisingly considering the post title, considering taking a drive up to Bass Direct in the near future. I occurred to me that somewhere along the 143 ml route from my part of Essex to Leamington Spa someone/two/three might want to occupy one of the three spare seats and visit this veritable Aladdin’s Cave of bassology? If anybody fancies the trip then we can sort out dates/times etc. Or is this a stupid idea? 

Weekends? You could give me you wallet for safekeeping for the duration of our perusal.

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Are you suggesting a burglary??? 😆😆

Well, if Warren and I went out of the three of us there would be at least 2 ex-coppers.

So probably best not to rule anything out 😄 

• Haha 1

I hope the dude who runs the place isn’t reading this!

31 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

I’ve looked at going a few times on the train from London but it looks a bit of a hike from the station... Could get a cab easily enough though I suppose.

You could but I could drive you to the door!

• Like 1

I live literally about 20 minutes from Bass Direct but I've never been.

The stock I'm interested in is the really high end stuff that I can't really afford and I'd feel a bit weird about going in there just to kick tyres.

Feel free to PM me though if anyone needs a getaway driver with local knowledge or somewhere nearby to stash the loot until the heat dies down.

Edited by Cato
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I live literally about 20 minutes from Bass Direct but I've never been.

The stock I'm interested in is the really high end stuff that I can't really afford and I'd feel a bit weird about going in there just to kick tyres. 

Honestly they don't mind. I went in last year to do exactly that. Apart from London there is nowhere else in the UK that has the stock they have.

I started out trying something I was genuinely interested in and then just started asking to play Ken Smiths and Foderas just to try and understand where that extra £4000 comes from in a bass. 

Edited by BassApprentice
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

I started out trying something I was genuinely interested in and then just started asking to play Ken Smiths and Foderas just to try and understand where that extra £4000 comes from in a bass. 

That's pretty much exactly what I would do.

I’d end up taking home that White Emperor standard classic 😕

I have a black one (preferred colour) reserved from the next batch arriving at everyone’s favourite German music retailer in a couple of months time. But that gets more expensive by the day with the slide in the value of the £ 😕 with every £100 my reserved one gets more expensive, that white one looks more attractive 😕

• Haha 1