Why become a member? ×

Non Reverse Epi NBD

AndyTravis

Fancied one of these for years, should’ve bought the Gibson reissue when I had the chance.

This is a bit of an experiment to see if I get on with the shape.

from 1995, Korean build. Very lovely - a bit bonkers with its reverse headstock.

want to try on a strap, but it plays great after a tweak.

BD226EF7-1EA3-4E1E-AF42-981BF0909FB9.jpeg

• Like 10

I used to have the 5 string version back in the 90s. I loved it, apart from a couple of problems:

• Extremely narrow string spacing,
  • VERY floppy B,
  • J pickup that didn't read the A string very well.

Being young and daft I fell for the salesman spiel about this being 'normal' for a 5 string as it was a 4 string pickup, and even Warwicks had the same issue. He also advised me to use the P pickup as that was the 'rock and roll pickup'.

I later took the pass apart to create a 4 string 'Fenderbird' and discovered that the neck pocket was the same width as the neck form my Encore Precision copy. Never got round to it in the end and sold it in bits. I always liked the tone though... Let me know if you decide to sell!

Played this for 3 hours last night.

sounds unbelievable - pleasantly surprised with the stock pickups.

in all honesty, not sure the shape is going to work out for me. Glad I didn’t spend a grand on a Gibson to find that out.

watch this space...

While the shape is, on the face of it more conventional than the reverse, I imagine you still get that "5th fret is two inches to the left of where I thought it would be" feeling after a BB (if my BACH derived version is anything to go by)?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, howdenspur said:

While the shape is, on the face of it more conventional than the reverse, I imagine you still get that "5th fret is two inches to the left of where I thought it would be" feeling after a BB (if my BACH derived version is anything to go by)?

Yeah, so I ended up shoving the body under my right arm meaning the bass poked out diagonally from me rather than across my front.

tried it low slung but my back started after 2 seconds...and some of the parts I play need me to be up the dusty end. And I couldn’t reach - Peter Hook I am not.

• 1 month later...
On 13/08/2019 at 13:48, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I used to have the 5 string version back in the 90s. I loved it, apart from a couple of problems:

• Extremely narrow string spacing,
  • VERY floppy B,
  • J pickup that didn't read the A string very well.

Being young and daft I fell for the salesman spiel about this being 'normal' for a 5 string as it was a 4 string pickup, and even Warwicks had the same issue. He also advised me to use the P pickup as that was the 'rock and roll pickup'.

I later took the pass apart to create a 4 string 'Fenderbird' and discovered that the neck pocket was the same width as the neck form my Encore Precision copy. Never got round to it in the end and sold it in bits. I always liked the tone though... Let me know if you decide to sell!

This is currently on eBay if anyone’s still looking 

810BB617-C78C-44AF-A891-682978002489.png

• Like 2