Why become a member? ×

The 'little things' that make bass life better!

Al Krow

I recently came in to the possession of a lovely Fearless F112. I cant fault it but i have found the handle hurts my hand if im carrying it too far (up and down stairs etc)

So i got a pair (only need one though) of these Crutch handle covers. Fits just perfectly and makes life a bit easier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DPL3Q33/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

• 6 months later...
On 13/08/2019 at 15:11, dave_bass5 said:

Clip on tuners as well. Got a few of those, and love the TC Electronic ones, but even the £10 Snark tuners have been great for gigs etc.

Got the Boss TU-01 clip on tuner and it is the best tuner clip on or not that I have had, much better than there stomp box tuner 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/04/2020 at 14:11, shoulderpet said:

Got the Boss TU-01 clip on tuner and it is the best tuner clip on or not that I have had, much better than there stomp box tuner 

don't forget your cat tranquillisers when buying it 

Screenshot_20200521_232424_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

• Haha 1

I bought one of those cable tester gizmos and it's been a God send. Can test any type of cable, intrument leads, Speakon, mini jacks etc.. It lives in the gig bag and on the couple of occasions it was called into action it was perfect.

10 minutes ago, Japhet said:

I bought one of those cable tester gizmos and it's been a God send. Can test any type of cable, intrument leads, Speakon, mini jacks etc.. It lives in the gig bag and on the couple of occasions it was called into action it was perfect.

Sounds good! You able to share a link to the product?

On 13/08/2019 at 07:10, dave_bass5 said:

i had one a while ago and lost it, but got a new one yesterday. I mainly need it for playing the middle bit in All right now. Playing with a pick i find i end up letting the E string ring, when it should be the A. The FW works well for muting the open E. It also looks cool. i explain to people its a sweat band because i play so fast lol.

I to bought mine for 'middle' part of All right now but have found many other use's in my  repertoire.

18 minutes ago, Nebadon2000 said:

I to bought mine for 'middle' part of All right now but have found many other use's in my  repertoire.

I tend to prefer the tone of palm muting, and i tend to use that a lot (probably too much), so very rarely bother with the FW. It looks cool on the bass though so its always there. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Not wanting to sound flash, but as we went in to lockdown I upgraded my (2017) iPad Pro, to this years model. Its really helped me get through the lcckdown, as well as music making etc. No regrets at all. 

Hi dave, I’m looking to upgrade my one  , which one did you get and what’s it like 🙂

29 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi dave, I’m looking to upgrade my one  , which one did you get and what’s it like 🙂

I got the 2020 12.9. I really cant fault it. Ive had the 2017 version since it came out (will sell it once lockdowns over) but as it’s only 64GB I kept running out of room. I also wanted better connectivity as well so got the 128GB one. I was sceptical about face detection when it first came out but love it on my iPhone XS Max. Its a nice improvement over the finger ID of the old one, although its not quite as reliable as on the phone. Due to where the camera is placed it sometimes takes a couple of goes. I don’t think I’d like to go back to finger ID now. 

If it wasn’t for the extra storage i might not bothered just yet, its better but not amazingly better. Some of the features I already had, like the screen is the same. It does feel a lot nicer in the hand though. Its more like a slate if that makes sense. And of course smaller than the old one. USB-C makes life a lot easier as well. No more need for adapters (we have loads of USB-C gear already)

I suppose the pervious model would have been the more cost effective choice, but at least I’m future proofed for a few years. I dont tend to change them too often. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

No problem. What have you got at the moment? I really couldn’t go back to a smaller one, although I do have a first gen Air for holidays. 

My iPad Air is 3 years old now, it gets quite a lot of use and it’s still going strong but I just fancied treating myself 🙂

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

My iPad Air is 3 years old now, it gets quite a lot of use and it’s still going strong but I just fancied treating myself 🙂

And why not. You will notice a nice improvement. Ive never had an ipad that has run out of steam and ive had to upgrade,  but sometimes an upgrade doesnt need to be justified. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 23/04/2021 at 12:39, jrixn1 said:

I've just had these arrive this morning: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402533803723?var=672778084427

I got the "22mm Thickened Bottom". They fit perfectly over the existing feet of a Pedaltrain Nano, but I think will need glueing on so they don't pop off.  Power supply is a CS6.

PXL_20210423_112828051.jpg

John - absolutely brilliant hack, thank you!

Ordered a pack of 4 (just under £6) and they fit like a glove on my Metro 24. Bit of Uhu glue going on shortly, as per your recommendation, and a decent PSU (HB Iso-12) to slot underneath on its way from Thomann 😊

• Like 2

On 13/08/2019 at 07:57, Al Krow said:

What's been that small or particularly value-for-money purchase that's made a surprisingly big difference to your bass life?

The biggest difference/improvement happened in the 90's, when I bought my first digital tuner. Instant, accurate and silent tuning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

The biggest difference/improvement happened in the 90's, when I bought my first digital tuner. Instant, accurate and silent tuning.

Yes, digital tuners got rid of having to bite down on a steel tuning fork on stage!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

John - absolutely brilliant hack, thank you!

Ordered a pack of 4 (just under £6) and they fit like a glove on my Metro 24. Bit of Uhu glue going on shortly, as per your recommendation, and a decent PSU (HB Iso-12) to slot underneath on its way from Thomann 😊

Here's my Metro 24 with John's 'pedal risers' attached over the existing feet, with the suggested bit of glue to stop them popping off. I "clamped" overnight with some heavy books across either end and it seems to have worked a treat - but will be interesting to see how they securely they remain in place when the board is used and knocked in a live setting.

@jrixn1 - ok if I recharge the cost of the HB Iso12 and the Boss OC-5 to your account, that have both been ordered in the past week directly as a result of your (excellent!) hack? 😁

PT Metro 24 - hack.jpg

• Haha 1

I want to second or maybe third the Planet Waves string winder with the cutters. I never wanted to spend the money to buy one, but always wanted one. I ended up getting one from my wife for Christmas and it's great! The cutters were much better than I expected them to be. If you're difficult to buy for, stick it on a list and let someone else get it for you 👍

• Like 1