Why become a member? ×

The 'little things' that make bass life better!

Al Krow

What's been that small or particularly value-for-money purchase that's made a surprisingly big difference to your bass life?

Inspiration for this thread from a recent little purchase: can't believe that's it taken me so long to stumble across these cable ties or that none of my bass buddies have ever suggested getting them! I think they're great and just £3.49 for a pack of 10 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LGBR6E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

Yep, I've been a strong advocate of velcro cable ties for years. My neatly-coiled cables are a thing of beauty.

In response to your request, my nomination is this:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/folding-coffee-table-blue-id_8387455.html

I bought this because I've recently started playing pub gigs without PA support, so my bass amp needs to fill the room. So I use this to elevate my cab by 30cm which makes it a bit easier to get the volume and EQ right for the room and still be able to hear myself clearly on stage.

S.P.

• Like 3

Yep, been using those Velcro ties for years. I insisted the band use them for our PA leads as they woudl otherwise get tangled up and waste too much time at gigs setting up. Then we all started using them.

If we are talking cheap things then i guess its been Eneloop Pro batteries. Its all i use these days and never had one go bad (yet).

A bit high and i guess the Zoom B1 Four as its something i use almost every day.

@Jus Lukin the MS-60B certainly qualifies, but maybe worth considering trading for the B1-4 with it's more current chip set à la Mr bass5? Value for money counts as well as much as small for this thread and those two multifx pedals are unrivalled value for money swiss army knives!

10 minutes ago, bassfan said:

My  xvives wireless kit is so small and convenient  😃

When they work, right? :P

My second (and last for a while, I suspect) useful contribution is this little device (for just £3 delivered), which means I never need worry about whether my battery is about to run out of juice or unnecessarily replace a perfectly good one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TJ5X3FS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Battery tester.JPG

• Like 5

For me it would be my Donner wireless system. Not having to trail and cables is priceless. I've seen a lot of people posting about the more expensive wireless systems, but I picked these up for 15 quid on eBay. 6 hour battery life, less than 2.5ms latency, and a range of about 100 metres. Absolutely rock solid, never cut out or stuttered once over dozens of practices and several gigs. Best £15 I ever spent. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

When they work, right:P

Ha!! Mine do, on selected basses! I maintain it’s all to do with the jack size needing to be a tight fit! 

I have one of those volt meters too! Forgot that.  

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Ha!! Mine do, on selected basses! I maintain it’s all to do with the jack size needing to be a tight fit! 

I agree. Mine work on all my basses but not 100% on the Yamaha 425, unless i press the transmitter in harder and dont bump the bass. You can feel like a double click when you push it in, but the jack socket is trying to push it back out to the first position, which cuts off the signal.

14 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

For me it has to be my fretwraps, I first bought one thinking they were a bit of a gimmick, but I now have one on every bass 🙂

i had one a while ago and lost it, but got a new one yesterday. I mainly need it for playing the middle bit in All right now. Playing with a pick i find i end up letting the E string ring, when it should be the A. The FW works well for muting the open E. It also looks cool. i explain to people its a sweat band because i play so fast lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

My second (and last for a while, I suspect) useful contribution is this little device (for just £3 delivered), which means I never need worry about whether my battery is about to run out of juice or unnecessarily replace a perfectly good one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TJ5X3FS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Battery tester.JPG

This is the direct link to yours Bas. The link about takes us to a different version without the digital display.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-FantiX-Digital-Battery-Checker-Batteries/dp/B014FEM21G/ref=pd_sbs_60_2/260-9369431-7656544?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B014FEM21G&pd_rd_r=8b0d285e-c6c5-4aad-8fb8-de960fd7f7ad&pd_rd_w=pRjTe&pd_rd_wg=jGLky&pf_rd_p=7f9048ad-9bda-4493-8578-13e4eff8da65&pf_rd_r=P6KXMFJ38MJGY29SXGVV&psc=1&refRID=P6KXMFJ38MJGY29SXGVV

What also makes my bass life better is the kindness of fellow BC'ers!

I've just been offered, for free, and completely unsolicited a fret wrap that was going spare. I'm gonna avoid the said individuals' blushes by not naming him, but the first round of beers will definitely be on me when we get a chance to meet up!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

These:

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/amp/p/products/8918801/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Facilities_Cleaning_And_Maintenance_MOB-_-Electronics_Cleaners_And_Protective_Coatings|Precision_Cleaners_And_Degreasers-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-417999727806&s_kwcid=AL!7457!3!319553345974!!!g!417999727806!&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-f303_f_4wIVQbTtCh0FsQjwEAQYBCABEgLNE_D_BwE

Anhydrous IPA wipes to clean guitar strings.

Quicker than the meths-in-a-tube approach, won't rust the strings and they remove sweat and muck no problem so your strings are really clean. Put a bit of polythene or something between the strings and your nice fretboard so you don't accidentally take the oil off that.  I bought a box as an experiment, and all my gigging friends have since followed suit.

• Like 2