Why become a member? ×

Spector Greatness

WHUFC BASS

Guys - any views on the Aggie pups & Aggie OBP-2 pre vs EMG pups & Spector Tonepump pre?

Both are used on e.g. the Spector Euro LX basses and wondering if folk had a strong preference for either?

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, krispn said:

Anderton’s have a Spector video with a few differing configurations to compare.

Cheers!

Anderton's reviews are not bad, but don't always get it right e.g. describe the Korean Legend as 'neck through' when it's a set neck (so Mangotango you're completely justified in getting this mixed up, when the retailers who should know better get it wrong!)

Here is said video in case of wider interest. They deal with my very question (at 6.40) with regard to the pups - Aggies more rounded / versatile; EMG's have the 'Spector Tone' and more punch particularly at treble end.

I'm definitely leaning to PJ Euro LX with EMGs (10.35) over the Legend with its Aggies (8.10), but how much of that is down to PJ vs whatever soapbar setting they had on the Aggies (likely to be single J or dual coil humbucker). Be interesting to see if folk agree?

Amusing that they were using a MB LM3 and DG M900 heads respectively, simply 'cos these have been my gigging amp heads to date.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear...apparently DPD are going to be dragging (I hope not literally!) something to my door this afternoon.

I really thought I was just selling a Squier Bass VI a few weeks back and thinning the herd but I've now ended up on a Spector quest instead. How did that happen?

Conclusion: be very wary of selling @mangotango any gear whatsoever, chaps; the consequences are unforeseen and it could just prove to be an expensive decision! 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Oh dear...apparently DPD are going to be dragging (I hope not literally!) something to my door this afternoon.

I really thought I was just selling a Squier Bass VI a few weeks back and thinning the herd but I've now ended up on a Spector quest instead. How did that happen?

Conclusion: be very wary of selling @mangotango any gear whatsoever, chaps; the consequences are unforeseen and it could just prove to be an expensive decision! 😂

Nice one mate - what ya getting ?

33 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Nice one mate - what ya getting?

Well as you'll see from the pics when it arrives a bit later, it's clearly not a very good one as it may force me make use of the mid EQ dials on my amp which I resolved I would try to avoid needing to do with active basses. FAILED

On top of that it has two EMG 40TW pups which require a push/pull pot for switching from single coil to humbucker, so the BT and BQ onboard premps you've been raving about aren't recommended for this, as the balance control included with the system can't then be installed. FAILED

It weighs over 10 lbs and is 'NOS' from the serial number dating it at almost exactly 3 years old. FAILED.

My head has clearly been mango-tango'd with! 😂

...although there is a rumour doing the rounds that Spector basses with EMG 40s have a fantastic mid-punch and won't require any further mid boost?

Edited by Al Krow

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...although there is a rumour doing the rounds that Spector basses with EMG 40s have a fantastic mid-punch and won't require any further mid boost?

I've got them on my other Euro 5XL and they're great - and their mid voicing does cut through the mix really well.

NBD - it's arrived! 😀  

Spector Euro 5LX

Having taken more of a shine to my mid-range Spector Legend Custom than I was expecting, my appetite was definitely sharpened for one of the higher-end models. When this one came up at 'sale' prices at Andertons, I found it hard to resist!

Mine has a quilted USA maple top and the body is alder with a walnut strip in between the body and the top. The neck has a 3 piece maple construction. EMG 40-TW pups, as mentioned above, and 2 band EQ, but with pull selector on both individual volume controls to switch from humbucker to single J.

Very quick initial thoughts:

Not particularly ever been a quilted maple person, but I could definitely get used to this. And the sculpted back on Spectors is a real treat. 

Liking the tonal palette of humbucker / single J options, although I'll need to be mindful of the volume change when switching between the two if I am doing this mid-set.  I'm immediately drawn to solo'd J bridge for a more aggressive tone and either humbucker for fulsome punch: the humbuckers aren't shy retiring types by any means in the terms of their output!

My two Spectors definitely bring something different to the party compared to my Yammy PJs or even my Ibby SR Premiums. And although selling a Squier Bass VI to mangoT has turned out to be an expensive pastime, I can't say I'm regretting it 😊 

Spector Euro 5LX A1.jpg

Spector Euro 5LX A2.jpg

Spector Euro 5LX A3.jpg

Spector Euro 5LX A4.jpg

... and I hope you'll excuse one more belated pic, just wanted to capture the walnut strip between the body and the top which is a really nice touch. Amazing how differently the camera records the colour, depending on the light! 

Spector Euro 5LX A5.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

NBD - it's arrived! 😀  

Spector Euro 5LX

Having taken more of a shine to my mid-range Spector Legend Custom than I was expecting, my appetite was definitely sharpened for one of the higher-end models. When this one came up at 'sale' prices at Andertons, I found it hard to resist!

Mine has a quilted USA maple top and the body is alder with a walnut strip in between the body and the top. The neck has a 3 piece maple construction. EMG 40-TW pups, as mentioned above, and 2 band EQ, but with pull selector on both individual volume controls to switch from humbucker to single J.

Not particularly ever been a quilted maple person, but I could definitely get used to this.

Liking the tonal palette of humbucker / single J options, although I'll need to be mindful of the volume change when switching between the two if I am doing this mid-set.  I'm immediately drawn to solo'd J bridge for a more aggressive tone and either humbucker for fulsome punch: the humbuckers aren't shy retiring types by any means in the terms of their output!

My two Spectors definitely bring something different to the party compared to my Yammy PJs or even my Ibby SR Premiums. And although selling a Squier Bass VI to mangoT has turned out to be an expensive pastime, I can't say I'm regretting it 😊 

Spector Euro 5LX A1.jpg

Spector Euro 5LX A2.jpg

Spector Euro 5LX A3.jpg

Spector Euro 5LX A4.jpg

Cracking looking bass that! Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

NBD - it's arrived! 😀  

Spector Euro 5LX

Not particularly ever been a quilted maple person, but I could definitely get used to this.

Spector Euro 5LX A1.jpg

Spector Euro 5LX A2.jpg

Spector Euro 5LX A3.jpg

Spector Euro 5LX A4.jpg

... and I hope you'll excuse one more belated pic, just wanted to capture the walnut strip between the body and the top which is a really nice touch. Amazing how differently the camera records the colour, depending on the light! 

Spector Euro 5LX A5.jpg

That's a beauty and identical to my one. The push/pull pots are a nice addition and if you want a single coil at the back, it's simply a matter of pulling the knob (ooh errr!!). Mine is quite heavy (heavier than my other Euro 5XL) and the neck is a bit more substantial but it's still a killer bass. I've just re-strung mine with Dean Markley SR2000s which are renowned for their mid-range heavy sound.

Word of advice, if you find your amp clipping when you play, it's simply a matter or turning down the Tone Pump. If you need any advice on that PM me.

You've got a killer bass there mate, enjoy!

Edited by WHUFC BASS
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

That's a beauty and identical to my one. The push/pull pots are a nice addition and if you want a single coil at the back, it's simply a matter of pulling the knob (ooh errr!!). Mine is quite heavy (heavier than my other Euro 5XL) and the neck is a bit more substantial but it's still a killer bass. I've just re-strung mine with Dean Markley SR2000s which are renowned for their mid-range heavy sound.

Word of advice, if you find your amp clipping when you play, it's simply a matter or turning down the Tone Pump. If you need any advice on that PM me.

You've got a killer bass there mate, enjoy!

Cheers buddy. Almost identical to yours (well what did you expect from a fellow WHU fan? ☺️ ) but yours has the perfect - from my perspective anyway! - 3 band EQ and PJ pup configuration. 

Just weighed and it's coming in at 10.1 lbs, which is bang on the same as my Yammy BB which I regularly gig. That's a nice surprise :) 

I guess the difference in woods between ours is going to explain the difference in weight if yours is heavier?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers buddy. Almost identical to yours (well what did you expect from a fellow WHU fan? ☺️ ) but yours has the perfect - from my perspective anyway! - 3 band EQ and PJ pup configuration. 

I need to double check the weight of mine, but Andertons told me it was 10.2 lbs, which is actually ok. Pretty much the same as my Yammy BB which I regularly gig. 

I must admit the sound from my other Spector is superb - I wouldn't say better, just different from the other one. I used it last night for the first time in a metal covers band I dep with my GK head and Ampeg 6x10 and the sound was huge. I had the amp eq settings all on neutral and just used the eq on the bass.

10.2lbs on a Spector sounds more than it actually is in practice. I hardly ever notice the weight when use mine, it balances beautifully.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

I must admit the sound from my other Spector is superb - I wouldn't say better, just different from the other one. I used it last night for the first time in a metal covers band I dep with my GK head and Ampeg 6x10 and the sound was huge. I had the amp eq settings all on neutral and just used the eq on the bass.

10.2lbs on a Spector sounds more than it actually is in practice. I hardly ever notice the weight when use mine, it balances beautifully.

How well a bass balances really does make a massive difference, doesn't it, to how comfortable it is to wear / play. And having a sculpted body doesn't hurt either! :) 

5 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Especially when your favourite beer is Guiness ... I think Ned Steinberger had the British beer drinker in mind when he designed that body :)

Haha! Applies equally when your favourite beer isn't Guiness but you quite enjoy a curry! Life's too short, not to, right? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow - this thing kicks out low end!!

On humbucker setting, it's delivering a perfectly full / meaty low end with the bass EQ at nil(!) and at most adding just a touch for added flavour. On single coil settings can usefully increase the bass EQ to 3/10, but really don't need to go any higher than that. 

Treble EQ provides a nice range from Motown dialled-off through to bright slap zing at the other end. Default for me will likely be 6 to 8 /10 with dialled-off when required.

Of the other basses I've owned / played the Euro 5LX reminds me most of my Yammy BBNE2, with its sculpted body and similarly meaty low end (albeit the NE2 does have a more versatile on board active EQ than the Spector and pretty much the rest of my herd for that matter!) Believe me, that is high praise indeed coming from a Yammy fanboy like me! 

Just day 2, I know, and still in that honeymoon period etc. But am liking it a lot already and delighted that I've been able to pick it up at a 'sale' price. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

On 16/09/2019 at 09:58, Al Krow said:

That's it you blokes, don't sell me anything, or it'll cost you in the long run!!😁

Nice to know it's my fault again that you've ended up with a particularly choice bass. 😕

On 16/09/2019 at 15:13, Al Krow said:

For both of us, mate.....😖

8 minutes ago, krispn said:

FFS spoilers!!!!

Soz mate and apologies.

You'll need to understand that as a WHU fan, such moments don't come along that often and have to be shared / savoured! And this one has been on live telly unlike the Sat 3pm ko's.

Do you successfully get to MOTD 2 without hearing any news? I've tried in the past and it's blo*ody difficult. Even the fact that the pubs are quiet driving home after band rehearsal after an England world cup match is a giveaway that we've lost...