Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Supercompact paired with Two10?

Paul S

I have two BF Supercompacts.  I find one is enough for almost every situation I find myself in but occasionally adding the second for the headroom/sheer decadence etc is nice.

However, I find myself increasingly interested in how a Two10 would sound as my 'go to' cab.  I have a One10 and like it.  Rather than buy a Two10 - seems silly to have all those cabs kicking around - I am considering offering up one of the Supercompacts for a trade with a Two10. 

But the question is - for those extra headroom moments could I pair the Two10 with the remaining Supercompact?    I believe I'd need the switchable cab and use it at 12Ohms but they compatible? Or would it be the end of the known universe?

Anyone done it?

Muchas gracias!

43 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I hadn't thought of that but it sounds like a plan.  If it were the switchable Two10, what would 12Ohm plus 8Ohm do? ( elementary lack of knowledge here, sorry folks...)

(12 X 8 )  / (12 + 8 )= 4.8 Ohm

Edited by foxyFuze
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Another option is to put the Two10 (4 ohms) together with the ONE10 (8 ohms). I've gigged a BF 310 and it sounds very good. You do need an amp that can go down to 2.6 ohms though.

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I hadn't thought of that but it sounds like a plan.  If it were the switchable Two10, what would 12Ohm plus 8Ohm do? ( elementary lack of knowledge here, sorry folks...)

Assume you asked this because your amp is 4-ohm minimum.

The thing about a 12ohm Two10 and an 8ohm One10 is that the Two10 will get 40% of the power (split between its two speakers, so 20% each) and the One10 will get 60%.  So the One10 will be getting to its limit while the Two10 is just ticking over.  I wonder if that rig will really be much louder than the Two10 on its own in 4-ohm mode.

The reason the 4-ohm Two10 and the 8-ohm One10 works well (if the amp can handle it) is that the power is split equally, so all three speakers receive the same amount.

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Switch the Two10 to 4 ohm and run with the 8 ohm One10. I believe Quilter have said the BB800 will run at 2.67 ohm but I can't find that documented anywhere. If you wanted to run a 310 it might be a good idea to check with the distributor. Otherwise you are limited to the usual 4 ohms for your amps.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both.

So, another daft question, what are the exact dangers of running a head that says 4ohm minimum down to 2.67ohm?  Clearly something will potentially give but is it the speakers or the head?

I should know all this stuff by now!! :$

7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Thank you both.

So, another daft question, what are the exact dangers of running a head that says 4ohm minimum down to 2.67ohm?  Clearly something will potentially give but is it the speakers or the head?

I should know all this stuff by now!! :$

I refer you to my earlier post...

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Please please don't do this, Paul, as it will cause a disruption in the space-time continuum in the Eastern Home Counties.

And I don't live too far from there.

If you really are intent (one way or another to misquote Ms Harry) on causing the end of life on the planet, could you be so good as to at least give us a few weeks notice? 

The head will probably get hotter than it was designed for and will power off. That should do no damage to the amp. If the designers weren't so clever or were cutting corners the amp might sustain some damage.

You shouldn't do any damage to the cabs.

If you don't know always play safe and stick to 4 ohms.

Edited by chris_b
  • Thanks 1

...besides everyone has missed the blindingly obvious point here:

If you are pushing Paul in the direction of 3x10, why not 3x12?! That has just gotta sound awesomer; 44% more so if r2 is anything to go by.

So sell your One10 and buy another SC...😁

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...besides everyone has missed the blindingly obvious point here:

If you are pushing Paul in the direction of 3x10, why not 3x12?! That has just gotta sound awesomer; 44% more so if r2 is anything to go by.

So sell your One10 and buy another SC...😁

But that doesn't take into account the GAS for the Two10.... :) 

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Switch the Two10 to 4 ohm and run with the 8 ohm One10. I believe Quilter have said the BB800 will run at 2.67 ohm but I can't find that documented anywhere. If you wanted to run a 310 it might be a good idea to check with the distributor. Otherwise you are limited to the usual 4 ohms for your amps.

A quick Google finds this, from the Quilter folks

It is "safe". Our amps are protected from load faults or opens. However, since this is pushing the amp beyond its normal rating, it is POSSIBLE (although rare) to encounter overcurrent limiting on loud peaks, which sounds like harsh clipping. We haven't heard anyone actually complain however - speaker impedance tends to rise somewhat when pushing the power hard enough to reach this limit. Normally, the amp gently reduces power when pushed too hard for too long. If this peak clipping were to happen anyway, the trick would be to lower the Master by degrees until it clears up, which keeps the peak currents within normal range.

Thanks for all this, men.  Next step, putting one of my SC up for trade.